PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down pump noise

wetcoast
01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
I have two pumps, a Reeflo Dart underneath my stand dealing with a Closed loop which isn't _that_ loud, but I also have a snapper in my "equipment room" / gutted bathroom that is making obscene amounts of noise even after a warranty replacement. I've heard that taking off the endcap and adjusting it to ensure the fan blades do not rub is a good technique, but I want to drill down deper and cut down vibrations. I'm using styrofoam right now which is ok, but I think I can do better, like a big block of rubber. What are other techniques people are using, and where are you getting these materials? I can't for the life of me find chunks of rubber.

bassman
01-30-2008, 07:13 PM
What does the pump sit on? Concrete? Hardwood? Carpet?

Coming from the live sound industry I have learnt that one way to isolate vibration (noise) is to have as little material touching the floor as possible.
For example on large speaker systems sometimes the cabinets are mounted on spikes. Usually 3 spikes instead of 4, like a tripod. Or they are suspended from cables. Sometimes they are hung in slings as well. That way the cabinet is touching absolutely nothing.

For my pump I built a plywood base, slightly larger then the mounting plate on the pump. Then I drilled a hole in each corner of the plywood and inserted 6" long button head machine bolts with lock nuts to adjust the height. The pump is then bolted to the plywood. Now the entire thing sits on 4 points. I would have done 3 but I wanted the extra support. Eventually I will be using a rubber mouse pad and cutting 4 little disc to place under each leg (bolt). My pump stand sits on concrete, that is why I am going to make the rubber discs. If yours is going to sit on carpet you may not need them.

Now spikes would have been a better choice than the bolts but I couldn't find any long enough.

I would say it cut the noise from my pump down by 80% atleast.

Another thing is to make sure your pump and all plumbing attached to it is not touching anything but you probably already knew that though.

Hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I will take a pic of mine.

PS If this seems over kill then just grab a mouse pad and try that, get the thick, dense rubber type.

bassman
01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Here ya go...

Quinster
01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
also...if you can, place some flex hose between the pump and any solid structure it is hooked to.

I had most of my system hooked via rigid piping, and when I switched even 2 - 3" here and there it made a considerable difference in the noise.

cav~firez22
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
try an old mouse pad. thats what i did and it worked wonders. could step it up a notch and take 2 mousepads, on each side of a piece of plywood, mount the pump to the wood, so the pump sits on mousepad, wood , mousepad stand floor.