PDA

View Full Version : Clown tang it is!!!!!!!

fishoholic
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any expirences with either clown tangs or sohal tangs. I have a 230g reef tank and I was wanting to add a small (say 2 inch) clown tang or sohal tang, if I can find one :biggrin: I also have a few other tangs allready in the tank and bascially I was wondering if this would be a bad idea. I've read that they can be aggressive and I would love to hear other peoples expirences, Thanks.

Karen Marlin
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I tried a sohal in my 200 gallon and it tripled it's size in 4 mos and totally dominated the other fish...beautiful but I had to find it a new home or else
never see my other fish out swimming...Karen

fishoholic
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
:eek: trippled in size in 4 months :eek: I was hoping one would grow slowly so that the tang would be ok in a 230g for a few years before needing to upgrade to a 400g or bigger tank. Good to know thank-you

fishoholic
01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
So we where at big als yesterday and we ended up buying a small clown tang :mrgreen: So here's hoping that after QT he doesn't fight with anyone, and no one fights with him. Anyone have a clown tang in their tank? I keep reading about how mean they are :neutral: I'm hoping since he's the last one added he wont be too mean. Also hoping our yellow tang (or other tangs) don't beat him up.

EmilyB
02-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I really liked my clown tang, although there is nothing peaceful about a reef with one in. They are continual aggressive swimmers, always hungry, and will battle anyone in it's way. If he's top guy with no other tangs, he might be fun! Your yellow might try, for a while...

WuHT
02-01-2008, 09:35 PM
So we where at big als yesterday and we ended up buying a small clown tang :mrgreen: So here's hoping that after QT he doesn't fight with anyone, and no one fights with him. Anyone have a clown tang in their tank? I keep reading about how mean they are :neutral: I'm hoping since he's the last one added he wont be too mean. Also hoping our yellow tang (or other tangs) don't beat him up.

I've purchased small clown tangs twice (damsel sized .. 1 inch) and thin. Luckily I choose clown tangs that were already eating..and within a month they doubled in size. My first sucummbed to an overly long or improper fresh water dip, but my 2nd one is thriving...swimming all over the place. I dont' have more aggressive fish with my current one ... so i can't mention on the durability of clown tangs takin a nippin.

The only thing i'd note is that ... like emperor angels.. they are not as colourful as on the reef .. but it's still a nice fish . The fact that it never keeps still means that it's hard to appreciate the nice striping pattern.

fishoholic
02-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Our Clown tang is eating and seems very healthy so we added him to our main tank last night. At first everyone got along fine, but after about a 1/2 hour our lavender tang started to chase him around and our yellow tang thought it would be fun to get in on the action :neutral: However after a few taps on the glass for distraction, one small nip in the clown tangs back fin and one day later everyone gets along again and seems to be fine with one another :biggrin: