PDA

View Full Version : Tridacna Maxima Question

bassman
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I recently purchased a Maxima from J&L. When I got it home it had a long white tube like appendage sticking out from one side. I thought it was used to anchore the clam but the other day I found it laying in the sand below the clam. Is this normal? I can't find any information pertaining to this appendage.

Thanks

christyf5
01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Its probably the byssal threads. They use these to attach to a substrate and it is sometimes cut to release the clam from what its attached to. Eventually the clam discards these and grows new ones when it attaches to something new.:biggrin:

bassman
01-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Whew!, thanks so much. I thought something happened to him or he was just throwing the towel.

:mrgreen:

christyf5
01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Well keep an eye on him just in case but I'm pretty sure thats what it is. It sort of looks cottony and a bit stringy around the edges. Every once in awhile I see a chunk floating around my tank.

bassman
01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Hmm, maybe it's not the same thing then. This appendage was almost as long as the clam, around 1" - 2" long, it is a solid tube about 1/4" around.

The clam has attached, I bumped him the other day and it didn't move at all.

christyf5
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Right, thats the clams foot then. It shouldn't become unattached from the clam at any point. Sometimes it will stick the foot out of the clam so that it can right itself or to find the substrate. Sorry I think I misunderstood the "laying under the clam" part. I thought it had become unattached from the clam. :biggrin:

Definitely the foot. Attachment is good, all systems go :biggrin:

bassman
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
No actually you read my post right, it did fall off. It's laying on the gravel 6" below the clam.

bassman
01-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Here are a couple pics.

Note, the clam is usually open much more then in the pic, the camera spooked him.

christyf5
01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Weird, I have no idea what that is.

bassman
01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
It is weird, the clam seems fine, opens up nice everyday.

He is attached so I guess I won't worry about it for now.

Thanks for your help.

Delphinus
01-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I wonder if that's just a piece of rubble that may have been attached to the byssal threads - and it's just let go of it now that it's attached to something "better" (your rock). Otherwise, if that's a part of the clam itself, I too have no idea what it is...

bassman
01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Hmmm, good point. That might be exactly what it is. Thanks.

christyf5
01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder if that's just a piece of rubble that may have been attached to the byssal threads - and it's just let go of it now that it's attached to something "better" (your rock). Otherwise, if that's a part of the clam itself, I too have no idea what it is...

Good one Tony, looking at the pic it certainly fits! :biggrin: