PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an eel in a reef

Jaws
01-30-2008, 05:12 PM
So I've been in the hobby for over four years now and, with exception to some recent pest problems I've been made aware of, have successfully kept sps the entire time and understand the husbandry involved in keeping a system like that. I'm building a 90G corner bowfront sps/lps/softie tank right now and have been designing it around keeping an eel of some sort. I've made it so the hood is completely enclosed with exception to the external overflows which I've already found a fix for as well. I've also built a network of 1.5" PVC tubing to be hidden amongst the live rock for a den of some kind. The ultimate would be to keep a blue ribbon eel but I understand the survival rate and care level of these creatures and would only accept one if I saw it eating in the store. My question is are there any people out there keeping eels in their reef right now and if so, what eel are you keeping and what experience and tips can you offer? Thanks in advance.

justinl
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
are you sure you really understand the survival rate of blue ribbons? If you really do, then i dont understand why you still insist on keeping one. just had to get that off my chest. I do hope you realize that there are much better choices for eels. Have you considered a ghost ribbon eel (which technically isnt a ribbon eel... theres only one of those, and it sucks in captivity)?

despite that, an eel reef is possible. Don't underestimate their prowess at escaping or slithering down overflows and getting into sumps... they really are ridiculous carpet surfers too and will find any hole they can fit through. Once you've covered that (the number one concern for eels), you're pretty much set. You have to realize that eels are messy eaters though and you'll have to watch water quality carefully because it is a reef. There is also a danger of the eel toppling over unstable rockwork. This would probably kill it, so you'll want to either have very stable rockwork or even go so far as to reinforce the rocks with a pvc frame. ghost ribbons and blue ribbons (again, i hope you change your mind about the latter) have such slender builds that they probably wouldnt pose much danger that way, but as you select eels with thicker builds from relatively slender snowflakes to chunky tesselatas the danger of falling rocks increases; keep that in mind, although it isnt the biggest danger of all time.

the species of eel you select plays a big role too. there are two basic eel types: pebble toothed eels and sharp toothed eels. the latter are piscivores obviously and will prey heavily on shrimp and such soft bodies too. pebble toothed eels are probably the better choice although they will eat crabs, hermits and snails. they are genrally more docile and pose less risk to any fish you might decide to add in. some good reef eels i might try are (in no particular order and not limited to) G. miliaris, G. melatremus, snowflake, zebra, and ghost ribbon. basically the smaller more docile (wont bite your fingers off while you frag/aquascape) eels. before buying though, you might also want to research a bit on IDing some eels so you know what you're buying.

Jaws
01-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your input. Not to worry about the blue ribbon eel though. The largest contributor to blue ribbon eel deaths other than escape is not being able to entice it to eat so it would take a pretty convincing display to persuade me to get a blue ribbon. One of my other concerns is keeping small fish and crustaceans in the tank. Even most of my chromis are quite large but I'd like to avoid losing any fish to the eel if possible.

justinl
01-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your input. Not to worry about the blue ribbon eel though. The largest contributor to blue ribbon eel deaths other than escape is not being able to entice it to eat so it would take a pretty convincing display to persuade me to get a blue ribbon. One of my other concerns is keeping small fish and crustaceans in the tank. Even most of my chromis are quite large but I'd like to avoid losing any fish to the eel if possible.

well the blue ribbon is a pretty good at being a piscivore the few rare times that it does decide not to starve itself.