PDA

View Full Version : looking for idea's

fishguyxd
01-30-2008, 02:19 AM
I have bright t5 fixture hanging (soon) over my bowfrt tank. I do not have a cap/top to stop splashover from the lights though. I am looking for idea's other's have used to prevent lighting up the whole room. I was thinking of a black firetype cloth with velcro attached to access the tank. (rather than tinfoil)

Any idea's
also what have others used for "target" feeding corals other than a baster.

Drock169
01-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Mirrored acrylic is an option, its just a little expensive

fishguyxd
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
bump
I want to go get supplies anyone done something similar

hillbillyreefer
02-01-2008, 02:46 AM
To target feed I use a syringe with a piece of airline on the end. Works well for everything upto mysis size foods.

tang daddy
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
hb reefer great idea I may have to steal that one,

For the lights it really depends on how much you wanna spend.....

Being that it's bowfront makes it harder to build a canopy but not impossible, also you can buy canopies pre fabbed however if you want to make one it shouldn't be hard first thing I would suggest is making a template of the top of the tank. The part that bows is not a concern then construct a rectangle foot print to the height that you want plywood can easily be bent for the front piece as long as you had the curve right with wood being screwed on to the back so no screw heads appear on the face, I would go with a hinge style on one side opening like a fridge door with a magnet on the other side to hold it in place, paint it flat black and voila.

This project can be easily done in 1/2 a day get all your measurements and homedepot should be able to cut everything, but really it depends a real easy way to stop light bleed is getting a half moon reflector and mounting t5 inside but I would much rather build a canopy!

As for target feeding turn off return pump and flow pumps have precut shrimp use a stainless steel tong and away I go since my tank is 80%sps I only target feed my softies and lps monthly they're happy cheers Chris