PDA

View Full Version : Additives

lngrhaul
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey everyone,

first post here. great site.

I'm cycling my new 56 gallon reef tank and patiently waiting to be able to add some corals.

I want to know what kinds of water additives (calcium, mg, etc) I should plan to have on hand to keep my tank at it's best? Also, what brands you've used and prefer would be helpful.

I'd also like to know what kinds of "food" you feed your corals.

Phanman
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

What kind of corals are you planning on keeping?

lngrhaul
01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

What kind of corals are you planning on keeping?

That is the million dollar question....I want to set up that I can keep anything. I understand that each type of coral will/may need a different type of food but was wondering about general water aditives and common foods that were for the overall health of the tank.

christyf5
01-30-2008, 12:17 AM
To start with I'd just do regular water changes at first, with not many corals in the tank that require calcium, general waterchanges should be able to keep up. As you add more calcium loving corals, you will want to supplement with perhaps a two part solution for calcium and alkalinity or use seperate supplements for each. You can monitor the calcium uptake of your corals with a test kit as you increase their populations in the tank. Test kits for each of these also come in handy but if you dont' want to spend the money on them (at first, but its really nice having them at home) you can probably have your water tested at your local fish store I wouldn't dose iodine or strontium without a test kit, usually your salt mix will keep these levels in check.

I have used Kent calcium and superbuffer dkH to regulate my calcium and alkalinity levels as well as the Seachem products (liquid calcium and reef carbonate) and a new line by Tailored Aquatics (a local company) reef dkH plus and reef calcium plus.

Canuckgod420
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I agree what christyf5 says....except for the fact that not all salts are created egual.....so that being said, if you use Instant Ocean you have to add calcium and magnesium right off the bat.
I think kent has decent levels of that stuff but their alkalinity is low...i think?
cant remember, havent used it in a while.
Also if I'm not mistaken you have to keep your calcium levels up if you want good coraline growth.
Good luck with the setup.