PDA

View Full Version : rtn episode after dip with tropic marin pro coral cure

fmelindy
01-29-2008, 02:57 AM
So I had this really nice blue bottlebrush acro that I was starting to notice a tiny bit of tissue loss on. Mainly on the tips and toward a side that was getting a little less light and flow. But I also suspected that maybe I had some AEFW. Reason being I could see flatworms on it that were surely the acoel type but I thought, "ahhh, I should dip this coral just to be sure". So I followed the directions precisely and dipped for only 10 minutes in 1 L of system water with the TMPCC and a whole pile of flatworms fell off. Probably just the regular type, at least that's what they looked like. And today I have full on RTN in that nice coral. Boy do I wish I had just left well enough alone! Can't really figure out what happened... anybody have similar experiences?

Renegade
01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
you probably didn't do it any harm, its amazing how one minute a coral is fine and the next its half dead, if you had flatworm on it from my experience thats not a good sign and i would have down the same. You could have very well not dipped it and it could have still RTN today

Kyle

fmelindy
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
maybe you're right but the fact that had great color and good polyp extension immediately prior to the dip and today is essentially a skeleton waiting to happen sure isn't making me feel good about the dip! All the other acros in the system are doing well. I also just recently made the switch over to the zeo system and the algae in the system is going a bit crazy since I stopped my phosban. Maybe it's a combo of things. My measurements this evening are also not great with low calcium, low magnesium, and barely adequate alkalinity. Man, it's amazing how fast things can get out of whack. The calcium is particularly puzzling since all my top-off is with kalk and I am also dosing two-part. I still can't seem to keep calcium and alk where I want them. Is it because of the low magnesium?

Chin_Lee
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. it should be noted that just because there are flatworms doesnt' mean they are AEFW. If anybody has AEFW, you will know it because you will see your acros being eaten on a daily basis.
Its unfortunate that I have been reading so many people having disastrous results after treating their tanks or livestock with various treatment plans out there and maybe we really need to diagnose the problems before treating. Although I would say that the TMPCC suggests it does treat all forms of parasites and diseases - kinda hard to think something would go wrong with such a claim.

bassman
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Is it because of the low magnesium?

That would be my guess. I battled with low Ca for the longest time, dosing and dosing, nothing worked until I got my Mg levels up, then maintaining the Ca wasn't a problem at all.

dsaundry
01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok without sounding too dumb..what does AEFW + RTN stand for?.. I assume the "FW" is flat worm??:question:

Drock169
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Acro-eating flatworm and rapid tissue necrosis

fmelindy
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. it should be noted that just because there are flatworms doesnt' mean they are AEFW. If anybody has AEFW, you will know it because you will see your acros being eaten on a daily basis.
Its unfortunate that I have been reading so many people having disastrous results after treating their tanks or livestock with various treatment plans out there and maybe we really need to diagnose the problems before treating. Although I would say that the TMPCC suggests it does treat all forms of parasites and diseases - kinda hard to think something would go wrong with such a claim.

Yeah, I just shouldn't have dipped it at all. You're right it was kind of like a knee-jerk reaction to see the bastards there at all, but I kind of knew they weren't AEFW beacuse the tissue loss was far too subtle and slow for that and no other acros affected. Sucks to have such a bad outcome from a knee-jerk reaction like that and also sucks to have a bad experience with a product that some ppl use to dip every acro that enters their system (and in fact is recommended for that). Needless to say, I don't think I'll be doing that!

fmelindy
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
That would be my guess. I battled with low Ca for the longest time, dosing and dosing, nothing worked until I got my Mg levels up, then maintaining the Ca wasn't a problem at all.

Thanks. I think I'll get to work on those Mg levels immediately.

michika
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Try dipping with a half dose of TMPCC in the future, and doing it twice. I find it staves off RTN. I have also experienced RTN when dipping at the recommended levels.