PDA

View Full Version : canister filter

bv_reefer
01-28-2008, 03:34 AM
i'm starting to think about getting a decent canister filter, anyone have any good models in mind in partiular that they found have great performance, also canister filters are'nt just for tanks with sumps are they? one model i was really eyeing was the rena filstar XP line of canister filters, the xp1 in particular, anyone have any good or bad experiences with these? also how are canisters for reef tanks?

Johnny Reefer
01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
....... also how are canisters for reef tanks?
What are you planing to run in it?
I run canisters on my marine tanks. I'm running a Fluval 405 off my Reef tank sump. It has 900 grams of carbon in the 3 lower baskets and 240 grams of Rowaphos in the top basket. No foam.
I'm running a 305 and a 405 off my Trigger tank sump. The 405 is filled with nothing but SeaChem de*nitrate (2 litres). The 305 has 600 grams of carbon in the bottom two baskets and a bit more de*nitrate in the top basket. No foam in these either. (Rowaphos on this tank is run in a reactor).
I have a spare Rena XP3 kickin' about and I'm thinking of running this off my Reef sump with de*nitrate. My sumps are on the floor and so are the canisters. I tried running the XP3 off my Trigger sump, but it didn't have the oompf to draw water for engaging a siphon effect. The reef sump water level is higher, however, so I'm hoping it might work there.

HTH.

gqlmao
01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
I have been running an ehiem 2026 for about 2 years, all I can say is great. They are efficient, quiet and the media that came with me is still in there, except the sponge. The only thing that I see as a disadvantage would be the flow on the ehiems, they aren't that great but it does a good job like wise. :biggrin:

bv_reefer
01-28-2008, 05:05 AM
What are you planing to run in it?
I run canisters on my marine tanks. I'm running a Fluval 405 off my Reef tank sump. It has 900 grams of carbon in the 3 lower baskets and 240 grams of Rowaphos in the top basket. No foam.
I'm running a 305 and a 405 off my Trigger tank sump. The 405 is filled with nothing but SeaChem de*nitrate (2 litres). The 305 has 600 grams of carbon in the bottom two baskets and a bit more de*nitrate in the top basket. No foam in these either. (Rowaphos on this tank is run in a reactor).
I have a spare Rena XP3 kickin' about and I'm thinking of running this off my Reef sump with de*nitrate. My sumps are on the floor and so are the canisters. I tried running the XP3 off my Trigger sump, but it didn't have the oompf to draw water for engaging a siphon effect. The reef sump water level is higher, however, so I'm hoping it might work there.

HTH. -i'm plannin to put 3 types of media, rowaphos as you mentioned, kent reef carbon, and also, nitrite remover

dsaundry
01-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I use a Fluval Fx5 for my 72g bowfront..Awesome filter..get it on line... they are usually cheaper..by a lot.:biggrin:

Pan
01-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I like the fact that, at least in my experience, the rena xp line is fairly quiet. xp4 was dead quiet xp3 makes gurgling sounds. Now if i really wanted i suppose i could remedy this, but it is almost unnoticiable.

bv_reefer
01-28-2008, 06:18 PM
ya a silent filter would be ideal, i was lookin' at the fluvals and gotta admit they're filtration process looks pretty efficient. right now i'm running an aquaclear 30 at the moment with just carbon, but i'm definitely gonna need a filter with more power for when the sps start comin in the tank

super7
01-30-2008, 04:43 AM
I work at a fish store and a lot of people come back with the fluval fx5 because it creates a lot of bubbles, this is due to a computer chip or something, if I can remember correctly.
Super7

bv_reefer
01-30-2008, 04:46 AM
ya i'm pretty sure i've narrowed it down to a rena filstar, looks pretty efficient, good amount of space for media, and hopefully not too loud

super7
01-30-2008, 05:20 AM
the Reanas are a very good filter, and are very quiet. They are used on all the tanks using a canister filter at work, except for the planted tank. They also don't break down, unlike the fluvals.
Super7

bv_reefer
01-30-2008, 06:58 AM
good to know, thats odd I always thought that fluvals were a great canister filter, they've been in use for quite a while have'nt they

super7
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
they have but all sorts of things go wrong with them. An example is that for extra filter parts at the store I work at most of them are fluval. Fluvals work great but are more likely to break than other filters.
Super7

bv_reefer
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
the main reason i'm rushing to get a canister or skimmer is my diatomes are getting out of control and i need something to help with getting rid of them, and now i'm trying to decide to get a aqua-c skimmer for nutrient export, as i've heard there great for smaller tank set-ups, or whether i should get a quality canister filter and pack it with good phosphate and silicate removal media and carbon, and at the moment i'm stumped as to what to get :neutral:

rdnicolas
01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
the Reanas are a very good filter, and are very quiet. They are used on all the tanks using a canister filter at work, except for the planted tank. They also don't break down, unlike the fluvals.
Super7

I have been using fluvals for several years now and I think they're great. My only beef with is that the primer sucks big time but I've found a way to reduce the chances of having to prime. I'm currently running three 404's in my marine tank.

super7
01-31-2008, 02:33 AM
If you treat them perfectly they don't break, but I personally have had them warp, crack, clips break and primer shrivel. I have never had these problems with a Rena, but the Rena doesn't have a primer.
Super7

bv_reefer
01-31-2008, 03:44 AM
what exactly is a primer and what does it do? also all four of the rena models say something about a guaranteed self-priming system and anti-airlock system, can anyone explain any of these features

super7
01-31-2008, 03:56 AM
A primer is what starts the siphon, on a fluval it is a suction cup that you pump 5-6 times to get the flow of water going into the canister filter. On the Renas there is a cap that you unscrew and funnel water into it.
Super7

dsaundry
01-31-2008, 04:17 AM
Interesting comments on the Fluvals. I have used Fluvals for years on fresh and saltwater applications and havent had any of them let me down. Had my Fx5 for a while now and so far so good. I have had more problems with Marineland 350's and a few of the Eheim's but I still use both of them too. Guess it just depends on who you talk to. I was at a pet store in Calgary a few years back and there was an aquarium store..Pieces Aquarium?? They told me they sold tons of stuff for just about every filter out there. My personal belief is if you maintain and service any filter it should last for a long time.

super7
02-01-2008, 12:16 AM
I find that the Renas are built tougher and have less to break. They are simpley built so there isn't a lot to break.