PDA

View Full Version : Advice about tanks and med "leftovers"

sharuq1
01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I have a very nice 120g that I wanted at some time to convert to reef. problem is, I know it has been medicated both with copper and with antibiotic. What can I do to make it reef safe? (if anything)

Skimmerking
01-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Well the sand will have to go and the rock if you have any. If you try it with out cleaning the inverts corals, will most likey die. All the filters that have media and floss is thrown out and tanks will have to be clean out too really good ,with that being said the whole system wil ahve to get scrubbed I dont know about the silicone thou.. some copper may get into it. I can't answer that for you ...

lots of work thou

Zoaelite
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
As a general rule, if you have used copper theres no looking back :\ Its a better idea just to start new otherwise even the smallest trace amounts of copper will cause haveck.
Levi

Murminator
01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I used a 20g for over a year that the silicone was stained green from to much copper with no problems

KrazyKuch
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
The copper will get into the silicone and it will leave a film on the glass.....so at the very least you should scrape all the silicone and re-apply it scrub the glass well with water a vinegar!