PDA

View Full Version : Rescued a mature Chevron Tang, Need advice

super7
01-27-2008, 04:16 AM
I picked up a chevron tang in really rough shape. It was in a dirty tank and has a lot of color loss. I am Quarantining it at this moment but was wondering on what I should feed it to get it back to black instead of white between the caudal fin (tail) and body. I am feeding it Nori and the Q tank has live rock, for now, for algae. Is there anything else. I will probably put a UV filter on there too.

Sorry for the rant but, any suggestions?
Thanks Super7

super7
01-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Oh by the way I didn't end up paying for him.

dsaundry
01-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Mysis would be good..vary the diet to get him back in shape.. If he is finicky try a little garlic soak on the food. he will be a nice fish if he comes around:biggrin:

super7
01-27-2008, 04:51 AM
I have been feeding brine shrimp, he ate a little of it.

dsaundry
01-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Make sure you make seeweed available too. I think you said you were using that too. Mysis I think seems to be a favorite staple food as well, from what I have seen from different threads on the forum. So long as he is eating he should have a fighting chance. Saw a chevron at j+l,,pretty fish.. :biggrin:

dsaundry
01-27-2008, 04:59 AM
They sell green seeweed at most of the fish stores you see on this forum. I have been using the "green Seeweed" My naso goes crazy on it. My foxface and sailfin love it too.:biggrin:

Chaloupa
01-27-2008, 05:14 AM
brine shrimp is not the best food for him as it has little nutritional value and is a filler so he won't eat other stuff that is good for him...try the algaes that have been suggested, and mysis is a good one...good luck, it's a beautiful fish!

Jason McK
01-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Cheveron's need Spirulina. They are vegie's big time. Mine barely looks are Mysis.

J

Pan
01-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Try some Nori and some lettuce...spinach works to. Not as main diet but as supplements. (well the lettuce and spinach). Let the Cyanobacteria grow a little and he will eat it...(Spirulina)

skylord
01-27-2008, 06:00 AM
I agree with Jason....spirulina. I would be giving her as much as she can eat in about 15 or 20 seconds about 5 times a day. I would try a little mysis once a day and nori often. When she starts looking and acting heathly I would start heading towards a normal routine. I wouldnt consider moving her out of the Q tank until it looks like she is strong enough to get her fair share in your display tank.

Scott

Cheveron's need Spirulina. They are vegie's big time. Mine barely looks are Mysis.

J

fkshiu
01-27-2008, 06:54 AM
As others have stated, nori is important along with mysis.

You can soak both the nori and the mysis in Selcon and add a drop of garlic juice to whet the tang's appetite.

Nori is best purchased from any supermarket for a fraction of the cost from an LFS. Just get the unsalted plain stuff used for sushi wrap.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Veg like lettuce have almost no nutritional value for herbivore marine fish. Any Oriental grocery store should have packs of nori sheets available. Mine come from a place in Chinatown, in 50 sheet packs. You can soak these in Selcon or garlic too.

Anthony

Pan
01-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Judges are still out on lettuce, though it is better than mysis. People have been feeding tangs lettuce for years and years. I did it for a couple of years and all my fish were healthy, anyways each their own. I would agree that Nori is better, Try to get spirulina flakes. If you find powdered spirulina it mixes well with a garlic/nori mush but dissipates rapidly. Flakes or pellets seem to be the best option, though again pellets sink quickly (at least the ones i've seen) and pollute if not cleaned up. Anyways from what i've read tangs feed almost exclusevly on green-blue algae (cyanobacteria/Spirulina) in the wild so i'm thinking that is defn your best bet. I also fed my tangs a lot of my prunings from various macroalgaes in my refugium. They really liked it. I had all kinds and they seemed to gobble it all up.

spoot
01-27-2008, 09:49 AM
See if he will take formula 2, either flakes or pellets.

Chin_Lee
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
FIRSTLY if you can get it to eat nori, that would be my first priority with any tang that needs to be rescued.
But in case you haven't received enough spirulina suggestions i feed my tangs the HBH super soft spirulina fish foods. My tangs love it and I particularly like it because the first ingredient is spirulina.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=FD-BSSS100

super7
01-28-2008, 02:59 AM
The Chevron died, got back from work and it was dead. The other tang I rescued is weird looking, I think it is a atlantic blue tang turning blue, I am not sure and will post a picture of it. I had them in seperate tanks because I was pretty sure that the other mystery tang beat up on the chevron pretty bad. I am (was) feeding both tangs nori and formula one herbivorous pellets.
I will try taking a pic tonight and post it.
Thanks for all the help, really apreciate it, sucks that he died.
Super7