PDA

View Full Version : New Nielsen/kalk reactor design idea

jgoldsney
02-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey All,

I have been mulling over a couple of Ideas for a Kalk reactor and have come up with an idea. I know that Dez had quite good success using an old fluidized bed filter and just filling it with Kalk, the water enters from the botom and simply percolates up through the Kalk and out, no stirring required.

I began to think about this and the design that I came up with would be to have a square acrylic reactor. Water would be piped down to the botom from my RO and then circulate up through the kalk but there would be baffles running in a zig zag pattern so that the water is forced to have a long contact time with the Kalk. once it reaches the top it then flows out the exit and to the tank. This is just the basic concept I know it can probubly be tweaked for ease of construction. The only real problem with this that I can forsee would be getting the Kalk to settle to the botlm of the reactor.

Am I missing something completely or would this work?

Joel

CHEAPREEF
02-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Just made a PVC one, kind of like your idea. Pumps water into the bottom with 1/4" line up through the kalk and through a spoge and forced out the top. I'll let you know how it works this weekend, i'll be testing it. Took about 1/2 hour to build so if it doesn't work oh well. :wink:

Clinton