PDA

View Full Version : Does bacon stop your skimmer?

pocilipora
02-10-2002, 03:06 PM
When ever there is bacon,chicken, anyother greasy food cooked at my house, my skimmer shuts down! Anyone else have this experience? My kitchen is right off my living room where my tank is. I was thinking of putting a carbon filled muffler on the air intake of the becket. Any ideas would be appreciated.

ldzielak
02-10-2002, 06:17 PM
I don't think that would help much. Also makes a big difference if you have a fireplace, the CO2 level change in the air will greatly affect your skimmer too.

reefburnaby
02-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Hi,

When an oily substance is added to your tank water (via frying, your hands and etc), the skimmer does not work as well because oily substance prevents the air bubbles from collecting the bad organic particles. Think of oil as a lubricant...it prevents the air bubble from grabbing hold of the particles. Its a bit more complicated than that...but you get the idea .... right ? Eventually, the oil evaporates...and it is back to normal.

Have you notice that when you place your hands in the tank...the skimmer stops working for an hour or two ? Same effect.

The oil can come from many sources, so it would be hard to isolate. Putting a air filter on your skimmer could help.

- Victor.

[ 11 February 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]</p>

Kenzy
02-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Also putting some type filter over your cooling fans will help as well.