PDA

View Full Version : Best starter fish/coral

SeaSerpant
01-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi need to know the best starter fish/coral that would be good for a 60g SW aquarium.
Thanks
SeaSerpant

Kabong
01-27-2008, 02:28 AM
You'd need to give your lighting specs if you want advice on corals.
As for fish, Tank raised clown fish are allways a popular choice for a first fish.

VFX
01-27-2008, 05:59 AM
I second that... some tank bred Clowns would be great starter SW fish.

Starter corals?

Softies such as Toadstools, leathers, mushrooms & zoo's were a good starting place when I 1st got into reefs.

All were easier to keep & more tolerant of my mistakes than LPS & SPS that I kept later on.

SeaSerpant
01-27-2008, 07:15 PM
i haven't got the lights yet but i'm planning on getting the best lighting i can:biggrin:

Myka
01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
i haven't got the lights yet but i'm planning on getting the best lighting i can:biggrin:

Would that be metal halide, or do you mean the best you can afford?

SeaSerpant
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
right now i have not so powerful lights but after the curing process i'm going to hopefully have either a job or alot of money. when i have around 120$ should i buy lights or a skimmer first unless i can buy both used?

Kabong
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Not to be mean But, I think you need to go take a look at the price of equipment.
$120 will get you a single bulb PC light setup or a low end skimmer.

SeaSerpant
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
i know thats why i'm going to buy stuff used for the time being:biggrin: Any more ideas?

Jason McK
01-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Until you get lights and a skimmer I really wouldn't put anything in your tank.

Myka
01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
i know thats why i'm going to buy stuff used for the time being:biggrin: Any more ideas?

I think you're going to need to save up some more. You'll either need some parents who will give you decent sized weekly "allowances" or you'll need a job to support your tank. Do you have a sump?

If you don't have a sump you could go with a Remora skimmer (a Remora Pro would be a better choice) that you could find used for about $100-130 depending how old it is. If you have a sump you could go with an EuroReef RS80...not sure on the price used. Don't waste your money on anything cheaper.

As far as lights go, what do you have right now? You can get away with crappy lighting if you choose to go with a FOWLR tank. Choose reef-safe fish, and once you can afford to upgrade your lighting you can add corals. :)

SeaSerpant
01-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I have a sump. it is the same size as my tank. You can check out my build here. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38703
thanks for the help. I will be awaiting some more answers.:biggrin:

Snappy
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I suggest staying away from damsels as they are difficult to catch later and are a pain in the neck unless you want to keep an aggresive tank and don't mind getting bitten when working in the tank.