PDA

View Full Version : Gareth's 105 Gallon Planted Tank (Pics)

GeekPhysique
01-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi guys, I'm Gareth, some of you probably know me already through various places. I'm just starting to get into Reef keeping but I am a plant guy primarily.

I just thought I'd share my current project, this is my 105 gallon planted tank.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/105_012308.jpg

Tank is controlled by 2 x Profilux units synched to a Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz mounted in the stand

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/105-4.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/equipment.jpg

I have a Profilux viewer mounted in the canopy... (This was during initial setup, forgive the alarm and faulty readings)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/viewer.jpg

Tank is filtered with a Rena XP3 (left side) and a Rena XP4 (right side). The outlet off the Rena XP4 is T'd off to redirect some flow through my CO2 reactor (Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 1000) and Coralife TurboTwist 6X 18 watt UV. This setup allows me to keep the CO2 abosorption rate set pretty consistently, and the slower flow through the UV allows for rapid algae removal (a must have for fertilized planted tanks initially).

I have created a thunderstorm routine for the primarly profilux controller that activates a strobe light set up on one of hte digital powerbars set to "thunder". I also have a dedicated Korellia 4 that kicks in during a "storm event" moving an extra 1200 gph from teh right to the left. This actually serves a valuable purpose stirring up settled plant matter and making sure that the water on the right side of the tank (where Co2 concentration is highest) gets circulated through the tank periodically.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/th_lightning.jpg (http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/GeekPhysique/105%20Gallon%20aquarium/?action=view&current=lightning.flv)

I've set up the tank using Seachems Flourite Black Sand and Flourite Black in a 50/50 mixture with the sand at the bottom. I couldn't afford to just do 9 square feet of substrate in ADA's layered products so I went with a more affordable approach. Sand on the bottom, courser material on the top. This allows for easy root penetration while keeping a denser layer where mulm will collect between the two types of substrate.

The wood I used in the tank are 7 pieces of Indonesian driftwood all piled together to try and recreate the "root" look of a forest stream/river. I used local river rock to try and finish the look.

Plants are numerous, but the main feature will be a field of Utricularia Gramnifolia on the left and Hemianthus Calitrichoides on the right.

The profiluxes currently control every aspect of the tank from temperture control (heating and chilling), Ph Control (CO2 or air injection to raise Ph), lighting, storms, wavemaking, fertilizing and topoff. Topoff is via a 10 gallon resevoir tank mounted in the stand. When sensor one is triggered on the main profilux a powerhead is turned on for no more then 2 minutes. If the float sensor registeres its closed then the flow stops, or after 2 minutes elapses (whichever occurs first). If the pump runs for two minutes without a sensor being triggered the pump is turned off untill the alarm condition is cleared (thus preventing overflow).

The fertilizer is currently being housed in a 7.5 gallon resevoir. I've pre-mixed a fertilizer solution that is dosed every day to compensate for plant comsumption. An aqua lifter vaccum pump in the canopy pulls the fertilizer out of the resevoir and doses it once a day into the main tank.

Thats a lot of writing.. I think I'll take a break for now, but let me know what you think.. you reefers are a tough crowd to please ;-)

niloc16
01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
un-bloody-believable. that is awesome

Der_Iron_Chef
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
What he said.

Wow. Well done.

corpusse
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
not bad for a non reef tank :P

Seriously it looks great, don't see any fish though.

digital-audiophile
01-24-2008, 01:39 PM
WOW! I'm not really into FW tanks but that is amazing!!

GeekPhysique
01-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys.. There ar esome fish in there, but not many. I have several on order for this tank but I wont have them for a while longer as they are coming in from overseas :-)

Joe Reefer
01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Great Job! What is the reasoning behind having the 2 controllers sync'd through a pc?

Chowder
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Very nice planted tank.

Delphinus
01-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Wow, great setup. Although I can tell you're not completely a reefer yet, because in all that description about your tank, you missed the lighting (the one thing I guarantee all reefers were hoping you'd mention) ;)

The thunderstorm effect is quite neat. How often does it happen and for how long?

It is really an amazing looking tank. Congratulations! It almost makes me want to dabble more in FW. :)

jasond
01-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Great looking tank. I don’t know much about FW (or SW in all honesty), but that is an awesome looking setup. I must admit I did say to myself, wonder what kind of lighting that would take! :biggrin:

Either way, great job, love the automation!

christyf5
01-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Absolutely amazing looking tank. Love the giant "tree roots". I always wished I had a knack for freshwater, sadly I only had a knack for growing green slime algae. *sigh*

I'll just drool over your pics instead :wink: Simply gorgeous!

SeaSerpant
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
what types of plants do you have in there? how do you plant them? How deep is you gravel bed? I have a 55G FW tank and i love the look of planted tanks. Please tell me you secrets:biggrin:

aquariumgirl
01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Great looking tank!!! But now you have no money to stock your reef :P

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Wow, great setup. Although I can tell you're not completely a reefer yet, because in all that description about your tank, you missed the lighting (the one thing I guarantee all reefers were hoping you'd mention) ;)

The thunderstorm effect is quite neat. How often does it happen and for how long?

It is really an amazing looking tank. Congratulations! It almost makes me want to dabble more in FW. :)

Doh! I knew I was forgetting something.. few too many beers before posting I guess.. Tank is lit with 4 x 96 watt CF bulbs and 4 x 65 watt CF bulbs. I am making some 150 watt HQI pendants to replace some of the CF bulbs, but for the time being this is working.

The thunderstorms happen twice a week, for an hour a day.

You can do a lot of fun stuff with Freshwater, but, much like a reef, it gets costly (lots of light, CO2 equipment etc)

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Great Job! What is the reasoning behind having the 2 controllers sync'd through a pc?

It was cheaper for me to buy a second "package" then it was for me to buy all the extras I needed to do the tank up with a single expanded profilux. I am going to continue to use them both on this tank untill I can get a 3rd digital power bar. I will then move the second profilux and the 2 analog 4 outlet bars to my very basic reef. 8 outlets should be enough to control my temp, lighting, wavemaking and topoff.

dsaundry
01-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Used to do freshwater tanks and I know how expensive they can get when you get obsessive with them. I used to have 3 planted tanks from 90g to 150g...still have some mopani left:question...you have done a superb job with your set-up. What type of fish are you getting for it?:question:

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Used to do freshwater tanks and I know how expensive they can get when you get obsessive with them. I used to have 3 planted tanks from 90g to 150g...still have some mopani left:question...you have done a superb job with your set-up. What type of fish are you getting for it?:question:

Thanks!

I am planning on stocking the tank as follows:

100-150 Galaxy rasboras
15+ Otocinclus
6-7 Female copper cambodian Bettas or Croaking gouramis
6 Peacock Gobies
1 Zebra Pleco
8-10 Glass Catfish

Zylumn
01-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Very impressive an inspiration. What are you running for substrate in your x3 and x4 as you must collect a ton of foliage in them.
Kevin

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Very impressive an inspiration. What are you running for substrate in your x3 and x4 as you must collect a ton of foliage in them.
Kevin

The substrate in the tank is 50% Flourite Black and 50% Flourite Black Sand. For filter media I am using Eheim Bio Media, and various other ceramic bio media (Fluval Biomax, Rena Biostars, a few others). Both XP's have the prefilter sponges in the bottom trays but I have removed the micron filter pads (restricts flow too much).

Honestly there isnt any dead plant material to get sucked in yet. everything is growing, and pruned leaves are removed as I prune.

Delphinus
01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
100-150 Galaxy rasboras

Oh man that's going to be awesome. :) Do rasboras self-breed in a setup like that do you figure?

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh man that's going to be awesome. :) Do rasboras self-breed in a setup like that do you figure?

I have 10 that are spawning already, so I think that it is probably doable

GeekPhysique
01-25-2008, 06:20 AM
what types of plants do you have in there? how do you plant them? How deep is you gravel bed? I have a 55G FW tank and i love the look of planted tanks. Please tell me you secrets:biggrin:

Not many secrets here! Lots of light, lots of CO2, and fertilize as required!

Gravel bed is about 2.5-3".. I have several types of plants in here.. so far about 20 different species.

dsaundry
01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Excellent choice on fish..What about some hatchets?? For the top area:biggrin:

Pan
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Stunning tank....may I ask where you purchased the wood in the tank?

Keri
01-27-2008, 05:09 AM
WOW

just wow.

GeekPhysique
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Great looking tank!!! But now you have no money to stock your reef :P

Im letting my reef recover a bit before I make any changes to it at all anyway.. so its not that big of a deal. Its nice having tanks in both areas because I can work on them seperately... I dont get anxious and rush things with either tank because I can work on one, or the other.

Pan
01-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks!

I am planning on stocking the tank as follows:

100-150 Galaxy rasboras

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1197
Interesting little tidbit
breed as many as you can