PDA

View Full Version : reflectors for MH lighting

Quinn
02-12-2003, 05:09 PM
gotta pick up some reflectors for two 400 10K MH bulbs in the city when i'm up this weekend, what's a good place to look and what should i expect to pay?

Delphinus
02-12-2003, 05:32 PM
I MO'd mine. MO prices are about $75-80 that includes the socket. The Reef Optix by Sunlight Supply are pretty good (those are the ones in my 72g), got them from SWC.

Quinn
02-12-2003, 10:23 PM
was thinking that a hydroponics shop might have them? otherwise i'll put in an order with jayson, since i already need to get some other stuff from him.

Quinn
02-13-2003, 06:06 PM
bump :D trying to get some more feedback here...

kgb
02-14-2003, 07:28 AM
same i am getting my metal halide set up on monday
hey tony hopw much and where did you get that bucket from

Delphinus
02-14-2003, 03:16 PM
I think it was $10 or $15 at Ikea. The reflector that's in there, is just some polished aluminum reflector. It's meant for fluorescents though and I had to use tin snips to make it fit and all that. Although I did try to bend it by hand to make it look like the curved ones you can buy. I guess it's not bad but of course it's still not as nice as the "real" ones.

The polished aluminum reflector came from .... I forget the name. Harvest Garden? Quick Grow? Something like that. The hydroponics store just a few blocks south on Edmonton Tr. from 16th Av NE.

You could also check out Bumper Crop. They have a pretty good selection of stuff. And they're good for things like replacement impellers, or impeller housings for mag drive pumps, and stuff like that.

Other than a source of DIY stuff though I'm not really sure you'll find too much in the way of reflectors that would fit over a tank. I keep picturing those big umbrella type reflectors at those stores .... :)

Quinn
02-14-2003, 05:53 PM
well just found a way to save money on my calc reactor, so i think i'll splurge and order from SWC.

check out the new signature! pretty witty eh :D

oooo and 100 posts!

Canadian Man
02-14-2003, 06:24 PM
well just found a way to save money on my calc reactor, so i think i'll splurge and order from SWC.

check out the new signature! pretty witty eh :D

oooo and 100 posts!

Nice Quinn!

Delphinus
02-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Very .. um .... poetic ... and very hilarious!!! :)

AJ_77
02-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Quinn:

Be careful with those self-fulfilling prophecies!

:shock:

:wink:

GregJ
02-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Hellolights, has a sale on right now on there parabolic reflector with mogul. They are on for 29.95. I have order two from them and it cost me, 100.00CDN with shipping. Which I thought was pretty good :) . I also got a 175W Ushio bulb for about 104.00CDN shipping included. The only catch is that you have to have a place in the states or know someone who does, so that they can deliever it there.

Bob I
02-14-2003, 08:24 PM
. The only catch is that you have to have a place in the states or know someone who does, so that they can deliever it there.
Aquariumpros is the Canadian distributor for hellolights.

GregJ
02-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but Aquarium pro has to markup the product to make a profit don't they?

Bob I
02-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Yeah, but Aquarium pro has to markup the product to make a profit don't they?

They of course get things wholesale, so they mark up the wholesale price. But don't ask me, get a quote from them. I think you will find them competitive.

StirCrazy
02-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Hellolights, has a sale on right now on there parabolic reflector with mogul. They are on for 29.95. I have order two from them and it cost me, 100.00CDN with shipping. Which I thought was pretty good :) . I also got a 175W Ushio bulb for about 104.00CDN shipping included. The only catch is that you have to have a place in the states or know someone who does, so that they can deliever it there.

Hellolights will not sell to an individual in canada, if you want them you have to buy through a Canadian distrubitor or get it delivered to a US address and pic it up.. I tried to order directly and what they sent back is a referal to Aquarium pros, for what its worth they are about the same price as ordering throught Hellolights and paying shipping duity and brokerage fees.

Steve

GregJ
02-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Well it's being done. I have talk to them, and they have no problem with it. I just had to send them a money order in US funds. As for the brokerage fees and duty, my mom always goes to our house to stay for a few days anyways, so she is allowed to bring back 200.00 worth of stuff, duty free. It will just hang out at the house until she goes there for a couple of days

Bob I
02-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Well it's being done. I have talk to them, and they have no problem with it. I just had to send them a money order in US funds. As for the brokerage fees and duty, my mom always goes to our house to stay for a few days anyways, so she is allowed to bring back 200.00 worth of stuff, duty free. It will just hang out at the house until she goes there for a couple of days

That advice may be useful to you as you appear to have a US address. It is worth nothing if a person does not have a US address. Canadians are better off using Aquariumpros, as they are the distributor, and take care of all that stuff. :roll: :roll:

GregJ
02-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Then I apoligize. I had mentioned the fact about the US address in my first post,and it was intented for those of you that do have a US address or know someone who does(which isn't that uncommon). Next time I will just keep my mouth shut instead of letting you guys know about a sale. It's a lot less headaches that way!

AJ_77
02-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Oooohhh, someone else ****ed off... :roll:

It would be a GREAT thing to have a contact that could handily get us US goods, especially HelloLights stuff. I got one of the last shipments to Canada from them, a reflector and socket.

In Vancouver you have the distinct advantage of being pretty much right AT the border, and to have family to bring stuff back over would be a huge benefit. Problem is for us in Calgary, the border is hours away, and it's unlikely that we have anyone "on the other side" as there are no cities in Montana nearby.

I appreciate you trying to let us in on a good thing - a sale in this case - but I think your original post was a little vague and left us filling in the blanks. Not a big problem, it's the nature of the medium... A quick typed note can only contain so much information, and people often skim these posts and miss stuff.

Quinn
02-16-2003, 12:44 AM
little confused now, as jon says he likes the reflectors at JL. they're likely more expensive, are they worth the extra bucks? i'm not interested in trying to work things out with an american friend or even ordering from ontario. seems a lot simpler to order from JL or SWC.

EmilyB
02-16-2003, 12:54 AM
I went with spider lights for their reputation. :D

You could always try a spiderlight knock off with spectral aluminum. :wink:

Delphinus
02-16-2003, 01:51 AM
You know, sarcasm doesn't do anyone any benefit. Yes, thanks for the tip on HelloLights. It's great if you're in a position to take advantage of that. HelloLighs very clearly no longer ships to Canada. They instead have a Canadian partner, which for the rest of us who cannot dash across the border on a whim, that is our option.

Teevee, don't make this so hard on yourself, this isn't rocket science. :P If you want the parabolic reflectors, there are plenty of options. Spiderlights, Reef Optix, and others, and J&L, SWC, or AquariumPros. No matter where you buy from: expect to pay $75-80. Expect to be happy with your results.

[Edit: last paragraph removed.]

EmilyB
02-16-2003, 02:55 AM
Tony, did you remove my reply??

I can't seem to find it. :?

This is getting absurd. :roll:

StirCrazy
02-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Sorry Greg, I missed that last part.. if you have a US address this is the way to go. but seing as this was in the Calgary forum, not many people there would have the same opertunities as yourself living only 1 hour from the US. and I think if some one ordered something through you and then had you ship it to Cowtown it would be more than getting it from Aquarium pros.. now for my self this is a different story.. we have to talk :wink:

Steve

GregJ
02-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Thats was something that I had missed(being in the Calgary section). I had actually clicked on the link from the front page ,which doesn't list which section the thread is from :oops: . I do apoligize if you thought that I was trying to be sarcastic. That was not my intention. I was just suggesting that as an option, which I guess isn't for you, so again I am sorry.