PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on RO/DI systems

Stones
01-22-2008, 05:12 AM
Just wondering how much of a difference it makes for a RO/DI setup to have 2 DI filters as opposed to just having one.

Also, has anyone ever used a RO/DI system with a "catalytic carbon" filter in it? I've only seen one system with such a filter and was wondering if it is worth the extra dollar they are asking for it. Apparently its used to filter out chloramines...

If anyone could recommend any good RO/DI filter systems as well, I'd like to hear your opinions on how well they perform. Thanks.

hillbillyreefer
01-22-2008, 06:21 AM
I've got an aquasafe. For some reason they don't have the best reputation. In my experience it's been a good unit. I just changed the filters yesterday, I've been running it for 5 years. I know they should be changed more often. My tap water is around 1300 on the TDS and pre change the unit was at 83. After running about 30 gals through the pressure tanks and system I'm down to 0 on the TDS. That 83 reading was after 5 years of skunky well water, family of 4, neighbour who gets 10 gal/week and 8 fish tanks totalling about 250 gal. So she put through a ton of water.

HTH
Brad

Myka
01-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Depends what your tap water is like. My tap water has a tds of 92, and the water coming out of my RO is 1 ppm, so my DI cartridge doesn't have to work very hard at all.

I think each DI cartridge can only filter up to 40 ppm, so if your water after going through RO is higher than 40, then you'll need additional DI. I am not so sure I am correct on that though...

DanG
01-23-2008, 03:28 AM
I've got an aquasafe that I'm very happy with. I've had it for just over 2 years now and it's working great. Takes my 75ppm tap water and knocks it down to 0 ppm.
I bought the maximus kit that came with a case of filters, enough to change them 7 times, so at that rate, it should be good for 14 years at my current usage.

Borderjumper
01-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Almost word for word what Dan said. I have had it for over a couple of years and use the heck out of it. Love it!

Floop70
01-23-2008, 04:05 AM
I picked up a Coralife Pure-Flo unit 3 or 4 weeks ago. So far I like it OK... although this is my first RO/DI unit of any type so I don't have anything to compare it to. Tap water going in is around 250 ppm and the water I got from the filter today read 0 ppm on the TDS meter.

Bruce

KennyKen
01-23-2008, 04:07 AM
i use an AQUA FX for a 28 gallon, and it does the trick. got it from J&L for 145 bones and it brings me 245ppm down to 1.
good for a small job

christyf5
01-23-2008, 04:09 AM
I've got an aquasafe unit, I think I bought it in 2003 or thereabouts. Changed the RO on it for the first time last year (I don't know whether it needed it or not, but I did it anyways). I change out the filters about every 6 months or when I remember. DI probly gets changed yearly on it, although I bought one of those see through canisters that has the color changing resin so now I'll change it when it turns orange.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-23-2008, 04:19 AM
I also have an Aquasafe unit that I'm quite happy with. As long as I flush the RO membrane monthly (or so), I get regular TDS readings of 0.

kwirky
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm running an AquaFX from J&L. my TDS meter doesn't go higher than the 999 it reads off my tapwater. I paid extra for the backflush thingy which I think has probably made a difference. I have 40g rubbermaid trash bin I use for my RO/DI water and I wait till it's empty before filling it up again. Heard turning your RO/DI on and off shortens the life of the membrane.

banditpowdercoat
01-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I got a used Kent RO/DI No flush on it yet, but I am getting readings of 10 out with 700+ppm in

Johnny Reefer
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I've got a 5 stage SpectraPure MaxCap 180gpd. It removes chloramine, but not by using a "catalytic" carbon filter. It's removed on mine by way of the "SilicaBuster" cartridge. There's two types available. Regular "SilicaBuster" and one that also removes chloramine. It's the 5th stage. The carbon filter is a regular Johnny Average carbon filter. I love my unit. Right now, with the colder water coming in due to the season, I'm getting about 4.1 gallons/hour. But in warmer months and with new a sediment filter and carbon block, I've had as high as 5.3 gallons/hour.

HTH and cheers,