PDA

View Full Version : tank cracked -- need help

iansfishy
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
my refugium cracked some time today. from the drilled hole to the outer edges. on a side pane. is there a way i can fix this without having to get a new tank and disrupt alot of stuff. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Pan
01-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Acyrlic yes, weld a piece over the crack (temporary fix, well it can stay that way but...) Glass i would say no, you need to replace it.

Black Phantom
01-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Acyrlic yes, weld a piece over the crack (temporary fix, well it can stay that way but...) Glass i would say no, you need to replace it.

Nobodaddys right - If it is acrylic just use Weld On #3 with a piece to cover it. It will hold just fine

BCOrchidGuy
01-21-2008, 04:40 AM
I've fixed many a small glass tank but if it's cracked at the hole then you need to completely cover that hole with a patch that overlaps the hole and crack by at least a couple inches. You then want to allow it to dry at least 24 hours, 48 would be better. Then you have to drill a new hole, why did the old one crack, is there stress on the bulkhead or fitting? Identify why it failed, that will give you a good idea how to proceed and how to prevent it from happening again.

Doug