PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp

Starry
01-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck growing out thier own brineshrimp. Also, is there any places here in BC to buy quantities of eggs?

Starry

Myka
01-21-2008, 02:25 AM
What's the purpose? For fish food? Seriously, it would be such a pain in the butt to grow them to adult size and you'd be using up electricity, water, salt, eggs, etc not to mention time that it wouldn't be cost effective. It would likely cost you quite a bit omre than the $5/pk of frozen food. Also, brine shrimp aren't particularly nutritious even when gut "loaded" or "enriched". Mysis are a much better choice.

Matt
01-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck growing out thier own brineshrimp. Also, is there any places here in BC to buy quantities of eggs?

StarryWay back in the day, when I was breeding angelfish, I always had brine shrimp cultures going. It is pretty easy. Now, my daughter is growing "sea monkeys" so we've got some growing in the kitchen! However, as mentioned, they aren't all that usefull as marine fish food.

Starry
01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
The reason I ask is I have about 3/4 of a can of NABS from when I bred angels as well. Belive it or not its been about 4 years and the eggs are still viable, just hatched out a batch for the wifes guppies.

Starry

Myka
01-21-2008, 04:24 AM
"NABS"? NA Brine Shrimp? North American Brine Shrimp? LOL! Seriously, I have no idea what the NA part is...haha! The eggs are usually viable for at least 10 years. They keep well. Provided "NABS" is some form of BS eggs I may be interested in buying some off you if you're wanting to get rid of them. I'm going through BS eggs like they're going out of style.

Starry
01-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Yep, NABS = North American Brine Shrimp.
Maybe we can set up some kinda swap or something.

Starry:biggrin:

Myka
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
What's the difference between NABS and San Francisco Bay Brand BS?