PDA

View Full Version : Tomini Tang...

Forward
01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Someone out there have one of these guys.

VFX
01-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Great looking fish.

Judging by looking at photo's of course, because I've never seen one of these in the flesh.

Do you have one?

Fishfanatic
01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I have seen one and it wasn't near as nice as the pics made it out to be, not all that colourful.

WuHT
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
hmm in HK there were quite a few. The tails were more orange than red, thats about all i can say.

Moogled
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I got one - what do you want to know about it?

Borderjumper
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I have a small one in my frag tank and he's color is striking. He was sold to me as a Flame Fin Tominy.. maybe thats why his color is so vivid? He was very timid until I put a small yellow tang in with him.. now that he has a bud they are out swimming all day.. I really like him.

Borderjumper
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM
hmm in HK there were quite a few. The tails were more orange than red, thats about all i can say.

Actually a Tomini Tang has a white tail with flame orange dorsal and anal fins.

Stones
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I've had a Tomini tang for quite some time now. Its the smallest tang when full grown measuring in at only 6". The juvi colouration is usually a mottled grey brown on the body with the tips of the dorsal and anal fins being orange. As this tang matures, the fins change colour from orange to fairly bright yellow with a tint of orange. The body colouration also darkens quite a bit to a bluer grey and the tail also takens on a blue hue.

This tang is great at targeting diatoms and film algae, but if your looking for a tang to clean up hair or macro algae, this fish definately would not suit the job. Mine has never touched the stuff since I put him in my tank and won't eat nori no matter how many times I offer it to him. Here's a picture of mine still with his juvi colours.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/prestieb/March2007006.jpg

spoot
01-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I got one after waiting over a month. Brought it home and qt'd it. It was eating and swimming happily, then one morning we found it on it's side. Have no clue what had happened. Ate nori, mysis, brine shrimp like a champ. I was heart broken.

WuHT
01-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Actually a Tomini Tang has a white tail with flame orange dorsal and anal fins.

oopsy yeah i meant the rear end of the dorsal/anal fins ... yikes!

Drock169
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
J&L just got some in