PDA

View Full Version : 1 VAC stray voltage

Delphinus
02-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Is it enough to freak out about? I personally don't like to see anything above 0.0. It seems to be spread out from about 4 or 5 different items each leaking about .2-.3. :?

I'm going to see what I can do about it, obviously, but if it comes down to replacing the sump return pump or my skimmer pump then that's a fair chunk of $$$ cash. :(

What really bugs me is one of them is an air pump, and save for the silicone air tubing running into my sump, there's no connection between the pump itself and the water ..... but it's pretty consistent beween "pump unplugged" and "pump plugged in." Unless there's something goofy with my ground itself.

rossb
02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Tony I would have a really good look at the grounding scheme on all of your tanks. Although I have not beefed up the ground on my tank yet :roll: I have noticed that if I use say.. my dremmel... and put my forehead on the metal stand...there are stray currents. If your ground potential is not zero and you use this as a reference to measure the rest of your voltages...they will be out a bit.

I would run a very solid ground back to your panel if you can, and then really ground everything. Once this is done repeat the measurements to see if the problems persists. A simpler check would be to run an extension cord to the plug at your electrical panel (most have them) and repeat the same measurement using the ground on the extension cord. In all my years of doing electrical work the single biggest problem I have encountered is bad grounding.

Delphinus
02-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks Ross .... I'm about to send you a PM, BTW