PDA

View Full Version : Pumps stopped working

likwid
01-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Something crazy is going on here. I had my pumps shut off for 24 hours while I was trying out an algae treatment. I went to turn them on this morning, and my koralia no longer worked. I've only had this for 2 weeks, and now it doesnt do anything when I plug it in. After an hour or so my aquaclear 110 suddenly stopped working as well. I have tried plugging both of these into different sockets, but they wont power up. Any idea why this would happen?

fishoholic
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
did you try giving the impellers a push start with your finger (or other object) when its plugged in?

Chin_Lee
01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
very likely the buildup of calcium carbonate on the magnets or shaft of your pumps. Remove them shaft, magnets and impeller and soak them into pure vinegar for a couple of hours. Rinse them off and they should all work again.

IF you notice calcium carbonate buildup on the outside of the magnet, I would put vinegar into the "hole" that the magnet sits in as well because there maybe buildup inside there as well.

likwid
01-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Well I plugged the Koralia into a different socket in the house and it started working again magically. So I brought it back to the socket by the tank that it used to be plugged into and it works again. It's weird, like it had to be recharged by a different socket in the house. I tried the same with my aquaclear but it doesnt work in any sockets. ????

Chin_Lee
01-20-2008, 06:24 PM
as previously mentioned, clean the impellers. It didn't start the first time because something is producing enough negative force to stop it from spinning and I suspect dirty calcium carbonate deposits. Sometimes it will start again here and there but it will soon stop for good.

likwid
01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Cleaned out the impeller and it works great now. I understand why that stopped working, but why the koralia stopped working and had to be plugged into a different plugin and then back in the original on to work again is a mystery to me.