PDA

View Full Version : wood foundation and a large tank

kwirky
01-20-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm moving into my fiance's (yes, we were engaged about 2 weeks ago :redface:) acreage at the end of this month. They have a wood foundation for the house. Would my 120g (48x24x24) be ok on it? My 120 has been sitting empty for over 7 months now because it cracked the foundation of the house I'm in now. I REALLY want to set it up again. I need a very affirmative "yes" if it's a yes because I don't want to wreck the foundation of their house with a tank.

Sean

Myka
01-20-2008, 01:52 AM
A wood foundation? I've never seen a house with a wood foundation...the building specs in Alberta must be a lot different than BC! I can't believe your 120g cracked a concrete floor.

steve fedyk
01-20-2008, 03:16 AM
What do you mean wood foundation, do you mean wood floor.
I have my 120G on the second floor and have no problem with it. My tank stand is 84" long, to spread out the wieght. Is next to a load baering wall, in the middle of the house.:mrgreen:

kwirky
01-20-2008, 05:47 AM
I'll get a good look at it and take pictures. Yeah I was completely shocked when I discovered my tank cracked the basement floor. Completely bummed out still too because I've got this 120g tank sitting in the basement with no water in it. 33g just isn't enough!

Chaloupa
01-20-2008, 06:27 AM
I have my 120g AND my 150g both on the second floor of my wood construction house....just had to make sure that they both were placed properly...they are both on an outside wall (same wall) with a garage underneath....my 120g is 4 feet long and the 150g is 5 feet long...no problems with our floors or anything

super7
01-20-2008, 06:27 AM
what make is the tank, or is it custom.

Delphinus
01-20-2008, 06:54 AM
I don't know the answer to the question but just thought I'd pipe in and say, "yeah, I've seen a house with wood for the basement walls instead of concrete." Bizarre eh? My parents were looking at buying it but that kind of freaked them out. I guess it's OK if it's OK but who knows how long it will last or is prone to problems in the event of a flood or who knows.

At any rate isn't the floor still concrete though? Seriously is the basement floor wood? If so, .. I dunno, you might want to consult a builder to see if there's anything that can be done to shore up the floor. I'm sure there's an option that isn't .. you know, too ridiculously expensive or something, hopefully.

Congrats on the engagement BTW!

Also, doesn't surprise me about the floor cracking. Unless you have a heated floor that concrete is a pretty thin layer over gravel ... these floors just crack on their own just due to settling.

KrazyKuch
01-20-2008, 02:25 PM
chances are that if their is a wood floor in the basement it's just a subfloor and their should be concrete underneith it....

I had a 230G on the main floor of my house when I was in edmonton and had no problems!!

kwirky
01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I just had a realization last night. My fiance doesn't know what a "foundation" is. She thought the oak flooring of the basement is what the house is sitting on *slaps head*

And her dad's third language is english and the word "foundation" was lost in translation. I realized they HAVE to have a cement floor at least in the basement because their laundrey/furnace room has a cement floor. The tank would be going in the basement not upstairs so I'm pretty sure it would be safe.

vazgor
01-20-2008, 03:53 PM
a friend of mine had a 108 fresh tank years ago and it broke the basement floor in an apartment the whole corner of the suite he was in broke the crack whent right up the walls it was bad in the summer he had bug comming in the whole nine yards needless to say he ddnt get his damage deposit back :)

Delphinus
01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Ah yeah, it should be a pretty safe bet that there's a concrete floor. Although, I guess it does depend. A buddy of mine used to live in one of those inner-city houses, I don't know how old it was but it was at least 80 years old, and it only had a wooden floor in the basement. Planks over dirt ... they weren't even nailed into anything, they were just pieced together and laid down. (Whee!)

adidas
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I just had a realization last night. My fiance doesn't know what a "foundation" is. She thought the oak flooring of the basement is what the house is sitting on *slaps head*

LMAO

BCOrchidGuy
01-21-2008, 04:57 AM
I'd seriously question the integrity of the rest of your present home if 1200lbs cracked the concrete floor. I've had 155s and such on the second floor with no ill effects (not that I noticed). Congrats, on the engagement.

Doug