PDA

View Full Version : Beginner questions

krschulz
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank which was started in Oct 2007 and has finished cycling. Although I am having fun with it, I seem to be getting varying and sometimes opposite opinions from several stores. I realize that eveything must be taken with a grain of salt as they are all opinions based on one's experiences. Specifically, I have been told 2 types of reef crystals to use, test kits one says are the best and the other says are the worst (I see no real difference), live phytoplankton vs concentrated stuff, and the use of Blackpowder or not. A couple of stores have very different views on this forum as well. Any unbiased views out there on crystals, phytoplankton sources for a clam and use of Blackpowder? Thanks.

Zoaelite
01-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank which was started in Oct 2007 and has finished cycling. Although I am having fun with it, I seem to be getting varying and sometimes opposite opinions from several stores. I realize that eveything must be taken with a grain of salt as they are all opinions based on one's experiences. Specifically, I have been told 2 types of reef crystals to use, test kits one says are the best and the other says are the worst (I see no real difference), live phytoplankton vs concentrated stuff, and the use of Blackpowder or not. A couple of stores have very different views on this forum as well. Any unbiased views out there on crystals, phytoplankton sources for a clam and use of Blackpowder? Thanks.

First off welcome to Canreef!
Simply put, if a store tells you not to go on forums don't shop there. The people on a forum are regular people who have experience behind there belt but most importantly are not bias because were not trying to selling you anything :mrgreen:. I have to also say that if you have the time get active on the forum do it! I know in my time on canreef I have learned an INCREDIBLE amount from what others have posted! As far as ReefSalt goes there is alot on the market, personally I use red sea because it works for me. Test a few find what works for you and stick with it! The best test kit on the market (Im sure most will agree here) would be Salifert Pro-Test Kits, they cost a little more but there worth it in the long run. Other than that clams are a filter feeder so either live or concentrated will work for you (I feed live when its avalible but concentrate when its not). As far as Blackpowder goes i'm not to sure what your talking about (Perhaps Phosban media?)
Levi

krschulz
01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Blackpowder is a protein, fibre, cytokinin, yeast additive that is to maximize growth and color in hard corals and live rock. Just wondering if I need to continue it after cycling is done. I'm not concerned about costs a whole lot (obviously we don't do this hobby cheaply) but am a bit confused by every visit getting a different story as to what I must have. I'll keep watching these boards and try to learn from the people here, although who knows if the info is REALLY credible right?

justinl
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
here's an excellent read on clams. feeding and otherwise.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BookMatters/WWM/NMA-RI/NMA-RI_Tridacnids-demo.pdf

Salifert semi-recently took a hit on their reputation when the owner just sort of dropped off the face of the planet after a bad batch of kits was released. calcium and alkalinity tests i believe. Prior to this incident, their kits were great and customer service was just as good, now Im not so sure. Elos kits have gained a good reputation as well.

Ive never used blackpowder, but fwiw, I never dose anything i dont test for. ever. to do so is to ask for trouble.

I hadn't realised any stores actually outright didnt like us canreefers. *shrug* I find that a little bit sad and disappointing if anything. At any rate, I agree with Levi. We aren't trying to sell you anything (excluding the classifieds... :biggrin: ) and the majority of us forum dwellers are good hearted people just trying to help out each other and allowing the hobby as a whole to progress further. I was in your shoes at one point (we all were) and honestly, my time spent on aquarium forums has furthered my knowledge (at least i like to think so) and saved me tons of headaches (and $). mind you, it also serves as a constant reminder of how little i actually know and have yet to discover.

Zoaelite
01-19-2008, 08:17 PM
here's an excellent read on clams. feeding and otherwise.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BookMatters/WWM/NMA-RI/NMA-RI_Tridacnids-demo.pdf

Salifert semi-recently took a hit on their reputation when the owner just sort of dropped off the face of the planet after a bad batch of kits was released. calcium and alkalinity tests i believe. Prior to this incident, their kits were great and customer service was just as good, now Im not so sure. Elos kits have gained a good reputation as well.

Ive never used blackpowder, but fwiw, I never dose anything i dont test for. ever. to do so is to ask for trouble.

I hadn't realised any stores actually outright didnt like us canreefers. *shrug* I find that a little bit sad and disappointing if anything. At any rate, I agree with Levi. We aren't trying to sell you anything (excluding the classifieds... :biggrin: ) and the majority of us forum dwellers are good hearted people just trying to help out each other and allowing the hobby as a whole to progress further. I was in your shoes at one point (we all were) and honestly, my time spent on aquarium forums has furthered my knowledge (at least i like to think so) and saved me tons of headaches (and $). mind you, it also serves as a constant reminder of how little i actually know and have yet to discover.

Its what makes the hobby enjoyable :)! You just never stop learning. As far as the blackpowder goes if its an additive yes continue to use. With water changes and time the trace elements in your tank slowly diminish (faster if you have a larger SPS/LPS bioload) so constantly dosing will only benifit you. (Of course read the intructions on your product as this is the best advice)
Levi