PDA

View Full Version : Question about a bowed tank

24storm
01-19-2008, 06:41 AM
I am setting up a 220 gallon tank. The tank had a glass center brace that i removed and replace with euro bracing. The glass is 1/2" thick. Now that i have filled the tank i see the front panel has bowed out about 1/8" at the top center. The tank has been filled and running for almost a week and there has been no change. Should i be worried about this or is this normal? I want to start adding rock but want to know if i should drain the tank and do something else with the bracing. I have talked with a few people who seem to think 1/8 on a 6 foot tank is nothing to worry about. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

24storm
01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
ttt

skylord
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Did the glass pull away from the Euro bracing? Are you sure the bow wasn't there before you added water? Is the bracing cut straight? If I did it myself I would want all the answers before I continued.....Elvis could do the work for me and I would trust it more. And I could blame someone if it went bad.

Scott

KrazyKuch
01-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Did the glass pull away from the Euro bracing? Are you sure the bow wasn't there before you added water? Is the bracing cut straight? If I did it myself I would want all the answers before I continued.....Elvis could do the work for me and I would trust it more. And I could blame someone if it went bad.

Scott

I agree I would find out everything before continuing because it's easier to resolve a problem now then when its full of sand and rock...

what size glass was the euro brace done with...how wide is the euro brace.....and one last question, is it siliconed down to the top of the tank or the inside of the tank, or both

24storm
01-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Scott

No it has not pulled away from the brace. It is like the silicone has stretched a little. The bracing is straight. I am not sure if the tank had a bow before or not first time i have filled it.

24storm
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree I would find out everything before continuing because it's easier to resolve a problem now then when its full of sand and rock...

what size glass was the euro brace done with...how wide is the euro brace.....and one last question, is it siliconed down to the top of the tank or the inside of the tank, or both

The bracing is 1/2" x 3 inch and is siliconed on the top the only silicone on the inside is the excess from the top.

Myka
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
My 33g bows more than that.

KrazyKuch
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd say your fine then!