PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead?

SeaSerpant
01-19-2008, 02:43 AM
What kind of powerhead would i need for a 60g tank with the dimensions of 48x20x15? and is an ro/di filter necessary for a tank in the curing stage?

KrazyKuch
01-19-2008, 08:21 PM
What I did when I set up my 70 gal way back when is I filled it with tap water and added prime, then after the initial filling I used R/O di..

I would say use it for as much as you can to keep the phosphates and what not out of your tank!!

Zoaelite
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
What kind of powerhead would i need for a 60g tank with the dimensions of 48x20x15? and is an ro/di filter necessary for a tank in the curing stage?

Id go with a Tunze or 2 for the powerhead, although there a little more pricey they are worth it. As far as RO/DI goes I would also suggest it, its going to help eliminate that break out algea problem.
Levi

justinl
01-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Assuming your local tap TDS is on the high side (compared to vancouver water), yeah Id say use RO/DI. Whether or not you use RO/DI during the cycling process is irrelevant imo. either way, you're probably going to get that algae outbreak. you'll probably want to switch over to RO/DI after that though.

For the powerheads, it all depends on what kinds you want. tunze? koralia? maxi-jet? Personally, Im too cheap for the tunze, but i think the maxijets are somewhat on the ugly side; plus the MJ's flow is a pretty concentrated stream. I prefer the koralias for the wide stream and the pretty slick (imo) design. It also depends on what you want in the tank. FOWLR? mixed, LPS, SPS, softy reef?

Myka
01-20-2008, 03:00 AM

I would use at least RO (use RO/DI if you can) water right from the first fill up. The size of the powerhead would depend on what type (if any) corals you plan to keep. It is best to use at least 2 powerheads so you can direct flow better. One of the main reasons of powerheads is to keep the detritus from settling on the sand. If it is in the water column then your filters/protein skimmer can remove it.

SeaSerpant
01-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Ok i have got some stuff and have a thread about it. help there would be much appreciated. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38703

Myka
01-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Ya I saw that...I replied. :)