PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians out there?

spoot
01-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm going to start putting my equipment on GFI outlets. Wondering if there are any electrician out there that can get them for a cheaper price than HD/Rona. They charge like $15 per outlet :eek:

findingnemo1
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I have some that you can have for free if you want . I am sure i could send a whole bunch for the price of one with shipping. I get them at work all the time so i have alot laying around.

When were you planning on adding them? I am in the middle of moving and am not sure what box they are in but if you need them before next thurs i am sure i could try and dig them up.

Craig

michika
01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Just hit up a wholesaler in your area, they are usually much cheaper. Just say its a private sale and you usually have to pay cash or credit card.

wickedfrags
01-18-2008, 04:53 PM
If you are requireing alot, it may just be cheaper to protect the entire cicuit with a GFI. Take a look at them in the electrical panel section when you are at the store - they are required for hot tubs (least in Ontario).

Joe Reefer
01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
GFI breakers are really the way to go. IMHO

wickedfrags
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree and that is what I use. However - you should wire your main circulation pump and heaters on a separate circuit just in case the GFI breaker trips for some reason while you are away.

GFI breakers are really the way to go. IMHO

Electric eel
01-18-2008, 07:35 PM
i am an electrical contractor in the lower mainland.
GFI breakers are in the $100 to $120 range. I can get GFI plugs for about $10
You do not require a GFI plug for every outlet. If you have more than one outlet on one circuit you will only require one Gfi plug and when connected properly it will provide protection to the other plugs on that circuit. I agree with other members not to put all your equipment on one circuit. If you are able to split things up then that is a better choice. I am available for free phone help if you require please PM me.

spoot
01-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't want to put too many things on one outlet just in case they trip. On the tanks that I have more than 1 heater, I am going to put 1 heater and 1 powerhead on each, just in case one trips it doesn't shut off everything in the tank. I was going to use the outlets to make DIY powercontrol boxes.