PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia

revgeoff
01-18-2008, 04:04 AM
After trying the usual Joes Juice and some other things, I honestly felt that I was never going to kill those little bastards that were growing all over my 30 gal Sea Horse tank.
Wendel gave me a bottle of "Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer" to try so here is how it is going:

First, it comes in a powder so you have to mix in some water. Ok, "15 capfuls (75ml) of fresh water". Done (I used the cap with some brand new RO water).

First the test in my reef tank. I turned off all the flow and started to pour some of the milky goodness onto my first victim. It says to use the pipet included to give 1ml to the aiptasia (or majano)...I couldn't see any marking on the "pipet" so I just gave the biggest baddest tentacled monster a good squirt (ok, a gentle squirt...but a good one). In less than a minute there was a poof and:
Me 1: Aiptasia 0
Yes, I'm keeping score.

One of my wrasses decided to say hi and swim through the white cloud. He is still alive after several days so I guess this stuff won't kill fish that easily (at least not ones under $50).

Now onto my 30gal Seahorse tank.

At some time, my seahorses decided to become gardeners. Unfortunately they decided to grow large aiptasia. I turned off the flow and went to work.
The bottle says to not kill more than one anemone per five gallons. Taking out a calculator, that gave me an opportunity to make six kills...I could hardly wait.

Me 7: Aiptasia 0

That was three days ago and although the neighbours are back to being fully extended, I have not seen any evidence of the six evil doers. This weekend I'm going to go after the rest of them in my 30gal. I'll post if I see any come back.

Chaloupa
01-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Excellent results so far! I use some of the Tailored Aquatics products too and they are top notch!

fiorano
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
i bought a copperband and it conveniently destroyed all my aiptasia within 2 days :)

Brent F
01-18-2008, 11:42 PM
i bought a copperband and it conveniently destroyed all my aiptasia within 2 days :)

I'm trying "Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer" and so far: Me: 0 Aiptasia 4.

I'll give it another try tonight.

Maybe I should buy a copperband and sell it once my Aiptasia are gone.

Brent F
01-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I have two Aiptasias on the underside of a flat rock. Possibly because of them being on the underside of a rock the "Tailored Aquatics Aiptasia Destroyer" is doing nothing after countless direct hits. The white liquid doesn't stay on them, if falls to the bottom of the tank.

The Peppermint Shrimp I bought earlier because I heard they eat Aiptasias have setup guard to protect the Aiptasias. They climb all over my hand if I try getting close to the Aiptasias. They leave me alone anwhere else in the tank

Me: 0 Aiptasia 10

Time to surrender. Maybe I'll get the Aiptasia some pet Berghia Nudibranchs’

dustinjm
01-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Have any of you tried calcium depending on the size of it anywhere from 1ml to 2.5mls in a syringe squirted directly on it followed by boiling not hot boiling water also in a syringe approx 10mls.Application may have to be applied twice, depending on the size of the little bastard. Amounts of calcium can vary depending on your calcium tank levels. It seems to have worked for us:)

Chaloupa
01-19-2008, 05:30 AM
I have a CBB in my tank....it eats food and aiptasia....it worked for me but doesn't work for everyone...as most don't eat...no other products that I tried worked...