PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on upgrading my light

mseepman
01-18-2008, 03:26 AM
After reading the largest thread I've ever seen on RC, I've been thinking about upgrading my 150W Aqualight pro to the Odyssea Dual 250W copy. I know that there was a terrible rumour about burning your house down, but after actually researching it, I now know that's all it is...a rumour. Plus they have completely changed their ballasts now which is what gave trouble before.
The light still comes with 2 crappy external Electronic ballasts but for the price, I can replace them with Ice Caps and still pay half what a Maristar or an Outer Orbit will cost. I have a 36" Oceanic tank that is 24" deep and my 150w just isn't doing it or my corals justice. I can't keep clams with any success and SPS is totally hit & miss.
After seeing the awesome tanks you guys have and the frags available from Snappy, I want more SPS and so the light has to change.
My question is, will dual 250W MH with PC Actinics be too much for my softies and LPS? Is raising the light and slowly lowering it enough to not give everything light shock? Right now my photo-period on the MH is 10 hrs per day so I would lower it to about 6 1/2 with the higher watt fixture.

sharuq1
01-18-2008, 03:48 AM
tagging along

mseepman
01-18-2008, 10:44 PM
bump...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
My friends & I thought about getting Odyssea lights in the past but I don't think they are CSA approved. If that is the case, you may have trouble getting them into Canada & if there is ever any problem, will your insurance be void because it is not CSA approved.

Anthony

fencer
01-18-2008, 11:47 PM
You might be surprised what isn't CSA approved these days. I am willing to bet Coralife stuff doesn't have CSA stamps on them( e.g. ballasts)

mseepman
01-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Yeah, never seen CSA approval on my ballests yet. One of the outlets selling these fixtures on Ebay says he sends them to Canada regularly and his listings all have flat-rate Canadian shipping costs posted.