PDA

View Full Version : what to go with?

possitive k
01-17-2008, 02:21 AM
hi everyone, just wanted to ask for some advice on what direction to go with starting up a nano. i used to have a 90g, but have decided to just go with a smaller set-up. due to my new living conditions.

i was interested in the red sea max, but was wandering if anyone could recomend any other set-ups. i am looking for somthing fairly simple and self conained. also would like it to be kinda a all in one set-up. as i really don't have alot of space.

thanks for your help.

balistidae
01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I used to also have a 90g reef but just replaced it with a 28gallon JBJ nanocube. It has a 150w metal halide, skimmer, moonlights etc.

I was torn between the RSM and the JBJ but i have been very happy with the jbj. Be prepared to get a chiller in the summer though

Brent F
01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I have a RSM and a Nanocube 6. Happy with both.

When I bought the RSM I was also considering the Nanocube 28. It came down to the Nanocube 28 had better lighting where the RSM had better styling and a slightly larger capacity. I have another tank with metal halide lighting so won't be keeping clams in the RSM so the lighting it has is sufficient for my needs.

No regrets with the decision to buy the RSM. Looks great and works well.

Zoaelite
01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I used to also have a 90g reef but just replaced it with a 28gallon JBJ nanocube. It has a 150w metal halide, skimmer, moonlights etc.

I was torn between the RSM and the JBJ but i have been very happy with the jbj. Be prepared to get a chiller in the summer though

I love my JBJ 28, only problem is its hard to install some ort of fuge/sump. The skimmer is garbage though, if you have the chance buy the new Tunze Nano its AMAZING.
Levi

balistidae
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
hey levi could you post a pic of that tunze installed?? thanks

possitive k
01-21-2008, 04:15 AM
thanks for the input.......also has anyone owned the red sea max, and had any problems with it?

also is the a good place to shop for the tank set-ups you mention?

thanks again.

Pan
01-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Tkae a look at the nanos on cadlights.com as well. I'm not much for nano tanks but they seem ok.

Brent F
01-21-2008, 04:44 AM
thanks for the input.......also has anyone owned the red sea max, and had any problems with it?

also is the a good place to shop for the tank set-ups you mention?

thanks again.

Skimmer seems to be hit or miss as to how well it works. Stock setup won't surface skim if you fill it enough to hide the top of the water behind the trim.

possitive k
01-22-2008, 02:36 AM
if you had to chose between the........red sea max, rsm, jbj? i would like to keep maby a clam, some sps, lps......what do ya think?

mseepman
01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Last time I was in Calgary a buddy of mine showed me his Cadlights tank and I thought it was pretty nice. I've seen the RSM and the JBJ and Oceanic29 but to me this beat them all. www.cadlights.com

Oscar
01-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Last time I was in Calgary a buddy of mine showed me his Cadlights tank and I thought it was pretty nice. I've seen the RSM and the JBJ and Oceanic29 but to me this beat them all. www.cadlights.com

I am still in the market too. What caught your attention about the Cadlights over the others? Their website is very poor on details so I have been hesitant to go that way.

My location setup is in the living room, is there much light spillage from the Cadlights?

Did your buddy order the Cadlights through the web or is there a retailer this side of the border?

Thanks in advance.

mseepman
01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Oscar, to be honest, I'm not totally sure of all the details. I believe he ordered it directly from them as I've looked before and found no retailers up in Canada. As for light spillage, he had the 12g version and the light was mounted on legs above the tank, not enclosed like the JBJ or RSM. The top was open.

They have what looks like a really nice 22G and 39G available for pre-order at a discounted price until Feb 4.

To me, tt looked really clean. I think some others on Canreef have the Cadlights, you should search for them and get their direct opinion.

mseepman
01-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Oscar,

Here is a link to a nano site where they discuss the Cadlights. See what you think.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129331&hl=cadlights