PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit vs Polyp Lab

Sushiman
01-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm thinking of going this direction with my system, these products have been around awhile now, feedback by actual user's?

littlesilvermax
01-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Talking with Jeff at J&L I would go with Zeo. He has used both and says Zeo actually made a difference in his system, and also costs less in the long run.

I have been running PolypLabs for about 5 months now, and I haven't really noticed any difference. I am discontinuing when my current supply runs out.

albert_dao
01-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Zeo > Polylab.

calkrog
01-17-2008, 03:51 AM
i did quite a bit of reading of old posts on this a while recently, and it appears that zeo is the way to go. i dont like the idea of this bacterial film that sludges your tank that some people are reporting using polyp lab, and people are also reporting bad effects when stopping using it. the idea of the zeo reactor and that giving the bacteria somewhere to grow seems the way to go to me. so because of that i have ordered 12' of acrylic pipe today and i am starting to build reactors.

surgeonfish
01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
I have used both. I used polyplab for 5-6 months and saw some growth in my SPS with no effects when I stopped (but did not stop cold turkey). I have been using zeo for >1 month and think the growth is probably better. My tank parameters have deteriorated when starting the zeo. My PO4 went from 0.01 to 0.10 with some hair algae growth. However, the PO4 is improving. I would go with zeo, although obtaining a reactor is a pain.

p.s. it is difficult to keep the reactor full of water when it is turned off. You are supposed to turn it on and off every three hours initially while your nutrients are high. This usually involves some form of modification.

atcguy
01-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Ultra Lith by Fauna marine has done wonders for my tank!!!! OA sells the stuff,. his tank is on this product aswell. My color and growth has improved big time.

Sushiman
01-17-2008, 07:18 AM
THANKS EVERYONE! I think I will go Zeo in the near future. I want to still upgrade & tweek the set-up of my system & add more live rock (correction; replace some of my !@#$ rock with some cherry-grade).

skylord
01-17-2008, 07:21 AM
You can always toss that !@#$ rock in my sump...lol.

Scott

andresont
01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Ultra Lith by Fauna marine has done wonders for my tank!!!! OA sells the stuff,. his tank is on this product aswell. My color and growth has improved big time.

I am Also thinking about going back to UltraLith.
Reason: to many additives in ZEO system, UL is simpler.
I did see good colors and growth with UL
ZEO just too sensitive and more complicated.
However i think these to products are very similar and because our tanks are SOoooo different there is really no way to say what is the best.
I will keep ZEO for 6 month and the decide.

OA is a long way from me so this is the only reason i will stay with Zeo for now.

Sushiman
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
You can always toss that !@#$ rock in my sump...lol.

Scott

I may take you up on that...:)

littlesilvermax
01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Any good links on UL?

calkrog
01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Any good links on UL?

http://www.faunamarin.de

Chowder
01-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I have been using the Fauna marin Ultra lithe system for about 8 months now. I have gotten pretty good color and growth off it. I would suggest trying it or atleast considering it. I believe it is very similar to Zeo but with less additives.

Here is the manual for the ultra lithe system.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35955

calkrog
01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
I believe it is very similar to Zeo but with less additives.

from what i can read the same amount of additives are needed to run the basic system. there are just others available from kz like trace elements and other color adders.

if you read the manual for both they are almost identical. IMO.

Jason McK
01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
from what i can read the same amount of additives are needed to run the basic system. there are just others available from kz like trace elements and other color adders.

if you read the manual for both they are almost identical. IMO.

Exactly! I have run Zeo for about 19 months now and like it. I've never used any other system so I have nothing to compare. But I know OA and I have the same Acro's in our tanks and it would be hard to tell with side by side which is on Zeo and which is on UL. Colour is great on both

J

Chowder
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I would have to agree that both create great colors in corals and are fairly similar.

albert_dao
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
UL and Zeo have the same amount of additives...

Sushiman
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
how's the result on non- SPS? My system is focused upon softie /LPS, I will be adding SPS in the future but I want stability in my system prior to that jump.

Snappy
01-18-2008, 12:34 AM
how's the result on non- SPS? My system is focused upon softie /LPS, I will be adding SPS in the future but I want stability in my system prior to that jump.
I have been using PL for a year now and I can't say anything negative about it. I believe it helped to save my tank when my dishwasher leaked into it this past summer and helped keep my nitrates in check at times when they should have been out of control due to being pretty much skimmerless for a few months. All my corals including my softies & LPS do quite well with it.

Delphinus
01-18-2008, 02:35 AM
FWIW, I'm on PL now too for a couple a months now (started in late Oct.). I saw an almost immediate reduction in nitrates. I now run zero or near-zero on all tanks thanks to this, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Pan
01-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I have been using PL for a year now and I can't say anything negative about it. I believe it helped to save my tank when my dishwasher leaked into it this past summer and helped keep my nitrates in check at times when they should have been out of control due to being pretty much skimmerless for a few months. All my corals including my softies & LPS do quite well with it.
I'd say your pictures of your frags would be a big thumbs up for PL. How does a dishwasher leak into a tank? Just curious. What do you pay a month for PL. Lookingat starting Zeo or PL when i start my tank. Finally stand built but 1-2mm diff on the corners means re-levelling...but I am veering of topic. I will start a thread on it.

Sushiman
01-18-2008, 03:03 AM
That's awsome. My little nitrate factory could use all the help it can get.