PDA

View Full Version : Question for those growing chaeto

trilinearmipmap
01-17-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a fuge (about 12" x 12" x 8" high) partitioned off in my sump for growing chaetomorpha, it is lit by two spiral CF bulbs.

Usually the chaetomoropha doesn't grow to well, it tends to float to the top of the fuge and form a mat, the top of the chaeto seems to break down into some slimy goo where it is closely exposed to the air and light, this blocks the light to the rest of the chaeto.

The flow though that part of the sump doesn't seem very high and I'm sure that is a factor.

I read that some people rinse their chaeto, I did this last week, the chaeto sank for a few days but now it is up floating at the top again.

I am wondering what people do for this. I thought about adding a powerhead in the fuge for circulation but I already have too many cords and plugs and I want to avoid more.

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM
What's your alk at? The Chaeto in my FOWLR system did the goo thing when the alk got crazy high (17+dKH). Otherwise, no problem here.

trilinearmipmap
01-17-2008, 03:52 AM
My latest Alk is 11.8, my target Alk is 10, in the past my Alk has run around 7 until I got my calcium reactor.

Myka
01-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Your chaeto should have enough flow that ithe ball is constantly rolling in the water. You will get the best nutrient export this way as well. Make sure there isn't anything for it to catch on (like live rock, pointy edges...etc), so that it can roll freely, and won't get hung up.

Pescador
01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I just flip it over once in a while usually when I'm pruning it. I get about a grocery bag full every couple months.

skylord
01-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I also just flip it and stir it every now and then. I tried a power head for a short time but the cheato always found its way to it and it was plugged more than not. If I see it starting to break down I just prune about half of it.

Scott