PDA

View Full Version : Kent salt users

christyf5
01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
So I've been using Kent for some time now. Usually its the best bang for my buck (ie. larger container, lasts longer) in getting over to the island. I always check the bucket before I use it and parameters are usually about the same with 420 ppm Ca and 7.8 Alk at 1.026.

The bucket I just cracked open last week (bought just before christmas) is coming out at well over 500ppm Ca (more than one salifert syringe, I'd guesstimate about 550ppm) alk is at 13.2 dkH and mg is over 1500 (more than one salifert syringe). I tested these twice. Normally I wouldn't be *overly* concerned but these values are way off of what I've normally gotten in the bucket and it makes me wonder what other values are jacked up. I did the testing last week on the bucket and was shocked to see these values but I figured it was just me. I was sort of in a hurry to do a water change as I hadn't done one in a few weeks with the holidays. However now I'm seeing some white tips on some of my sps and was wondering what the heck was going on in the tank. All tank parameters come out ok (ca = 435ppm alk=7.2 dkH mg=1335ppm). However those are the only parameters I measure for.

Has anyone else noticed this out of their bucket?

christyf5
01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
oh cripes, is it just me again? :razz:

findingnemo1
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Christy

We bought a couple buckets at xmas as we'll but when i tested them last week this is what i got.

Calcium: 420
Dkh-8 at 1.026
Mag-1300
I'm thinking you got a wacked out batch...I wonder if a call to them would have them replacing it?

Lisa

Johnny Reefer
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
In early December I tested a 23.5g tote containing 13 cups (1.027SG) at 575Ca, 1575Mg, 9.0dKH.

Johnny Reefer
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
........for what it's worth......

christyf5
01-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks Mark. I just heard back from Kent and they do their lab testing at 1.020-1.023 and get Ca = 480, Alk = 9.0 dkH, Mg = 1280ppm.

At 1.026 I've always had Ca = 435, Alk 7.8 and mg = 1300 for like the last 6-7 buckets I've used. I'm just wondering why Ca and Alk are so high.

I ended up buying a second bucket locally (slightly different lot number) and got even higher values than the first bucket (Ca=500, Alk = 15+, Mg=1500+). I'm just wondering if the Ca and Alk have such elevated values, what else in the salt has elevated values? I'm still seeing burned white tips on my sps (those that are already affected are just continuing. I don't see any new colonies affected) but with this second bucket crap as well I can't do any water changes to dilute out whatever got in there in the first place.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I know this is probably not it at all, but....what test kits are you using? Are they older? I know the chances of all of them failing at once is remote...to say the least! But hey....

Maybe you could take a sample for someone else to test? *shrug* I just bought a new bucket of Kent. I'll test it this weekend and let you know the results.

christyf5
01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Test kits were bought in July 07. Expire 2010,2011 and 2012. Yeah I think I might take some water down to Island Pet Zone and have it tested. I"m taking the new bucket back today anyways, I might get him to crack open another bucket and test that, either that or I'm going to have to switch salts :neutral:

jasond
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Tagging along....I am curious to see what Drew's come in at.

Christy, let us know if they end up testing your water for you and how it turns out!

ron101
01-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Mark. I just heard back from Kent and they do their lab testing at 1.020-1.023 and get Ca = 480, Alk = 9.0 dkH, Mg = 1280ppm.

If that is indeed those are their testing parameters, then that is pretty sad. They should be standardizing to one specific gravity value.

Salinity is a pretty linear relationship, 480ppm Ca at 1.020 should yield about 480ppm x 23/20 = 552 ppm at 1.023 and 480 x 26/20 = 624 at 1.026. On the other hand, if 480ppm is at 1.023 then it should yield 480 x 26/23 = 542 at 1.026. Higher salinities will yield higher Ca, Mg, and CO3 concentrations because are you are adding more of it to the same volume of water.

So I see three possibilities:

1) Your hydrometer/refractometer is out of calibration and you are actually making water to a higher SG than you think you are (and your tank will be running at a higher SG than what you measure).
2) Salt mix is out of whack
3) Your freshwater used to make up marine water is high in Ca, MG, and CO3.

If you are using RO/DI then #3 is unlikely (could test the freshwater anyway). If you have tried a second bucket then the possibility of #2 is lower. I would start with #1...

HTH

PoonTang
01-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Christy, double check your SG calibration. If it is high it will cause all of your other numbers to be high. Do you have any of your old salt left? or you could try some salt or water or SG tester from someone else.

albert_dao
01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z264/albert_dao/TongaMicromussa2pic42.jpg

Rippin
01-19-2008, 12:52 AM

What am I missing something here? :confused:

christyf5
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
:biggrin: If that is indeed those are their testing parameters, then that is pretty sad. They should be standardizing to one specific gravity value.

Salinity is a pretty linear relationship, 480ppm Ca at 1.020 should yield about 480ppm x 23/20 = 552 ppm at 1.023 and 480 x 26/20 = 624 at 1.026. On the other hand, if 480ppm is at 1.023 then it should yield 480 x 26/23 = 542 at 1.026. Higher salinities will yield higher Ca, Mg, and CO3 concentrations because are you are adding more of it to the same volume of water.

So I see three possibilities:

1) Your hydrometer/refractometer is out of calibration and you are actually making water to a higher SG than you think you are (and your tank will be running at a higher SG than what you measure).
2) Salt mix is out of whack
3) Your freshwater used to make up marine water is high in Ca, MG, and CO3.

If you are using RO/DI then #3 is unlikely (could test the freshwater anyway). If you have tried a second bucket then the possibility of #2 is lower. I would start with #1...

HTH

1)I'll check my refractometer.

2) Not so sure about this anymore. I took some premixed water down to Island Pet Zone and he tested Ca and Alk with Aquarium Pharmeceuticals test kits and both samples (from both buckets) came out at about 420 ppm Ca and 8-9 dkH Alk. Now I'm starting to wonder about my test kits.

3) I do use RODI water.

I ended up switching my bucket of Kent for a bucket of Seachem. Hopefully problem solved. Or at least avoided for now.

christyf5
01-19-2008, 12:55 AM

I know what you mean, who cares about kent salt when you have one of those. Send me a frag :biggrin:

Johnny Reefer
01-19-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm still using it :redface: . Just bought another bucket the other day actually. So far, demand for the levels is keeping up with supply and I'm liking how I don't have to dose lately. I am concerned about Iodide (Iodine?), however. Was dosing Iodine a good long while back. Then my colt coral virtually disintegrated. Tested tankwater Iodide. High. Did lots of water changes. No change. Tested changewater Iodide. High. This was well before I noticed higher than usual tank water Ca readings, however, so I'm not sure if it's related. An old Salifert Iodine test kit too. Getting a new one next week. Will test changewater for Iodide then. For shame, I know, continuing to use this salt without knowing for sure :redface: , but other than that Colt, everything is relatively happy.

Cheers,

christyf5
01-19-2008, 03:29 AM
I'm still using it :redface: . Just bought another bucket the other day actually. So far, demand for the levels is keeping up with supply and I'm liking how I don't have to dose lately. I am concerned about Iodide (Iodine?), however. Was dosing Iodine a good long while back. Then my colt coral virtually disintegrated. Tested tankwater Iodide. High. Did lots of water changes. No change. Tested changewater Iodide. High. This was well before I noticed higher than usual tank water Ca readings, however, so I'm not sure if it's related. An old Salifert Iodine test kit too. Getting a new one next week. Will test changewater for Iodide then. For shame, I know, continuing to use this salt without knowing for sure :redface: , but other than that Colt, everything is relatively happy.

Cheers,

Well FWIW, I would have kept on using mine as well if I hadn't noticed issues with my sps. I mean who doesn't want a salt that has kick *** Ca, Alk and Mg levels?:razz: (granted that second bucket was pretty high at 15dkH).

Johnny Reefer
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
FWIW, update re: my last post.....

1). Iodide/Iodine wasn't a problem after all. My test kit had gone bad.
2). Supply levels began to overtake demand. Still using Kent, but I also use IO now too, to help level things off.
3). Have introduced another Colt. Thumbs up.

Cheers,