PDA

View Full Version : Sponges

PFisher
02-10-2003, 09:47 PM
I am interested in adding an orange sponge to my tank after I move and upgrade this spring. I have done a fair bit of research on sponges, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience that they would be willing to share. How do you ensure that there is enough food in the water for them to filter out?

MitchM
02-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Orange sponges process a LOT of water in their feeding process. Our tanks do not have enough plankton for long term success, IMO, and they are non-photosynthetic. I had one for 6 months and saw pretty much zero growth. I kept it in my sump, and had the sump run dry one day....it was toast. Try to expose it to as little air as possible, as I've read that that is really bad for them as well.

Mitch

TANGOMAN
02-11-2003, 02:12 PM
I've had an Orange Cactus Sponge for close to two years. It has been a challenge for me from day one ! It was a "cyano-magnet" for a long time. It has shown color improvement and cleaned itself up since I found the right location in the tank for it. Unfortunately that is a dark recess where it is hardly visible. :cry: It has never grown.
Exposure to air will destroy their tissue as Mitch stated.

Samw
02-11-2003, 05:55 PM
I've tried 3 different kinds of sponges with mixed results.

The orange flower sponge that I bought on Oct 5 last year is still with me and is doing fine. It has not grown significantly but is healthy.

The pink vase sponge that I bought on Oct 5 started dying immediately but at the same time it was attaching itself to the liverock. I would say that I lost 70% of it but recently, it has stopped dying and is now recovering. I've removed it from the large live rock at the back of the tank and am trying to place it in a better lit location as an experiment. Although it is now recovering, it is uncertain that placing it in light helped or not. The little pieces of pink sponge that were left behind on the rock that it was previously attached to are also still alive for a couple of months now. I think this sponge has a good chance of survival.

I also tried a blue sponge on Nov 4 but that died in about 2 weeks turning completely white. Some say that the blue ones are photosynthetic and need very intense lighting.

I don't really do anything special in terms of feeding. Once a week, I add some DT's.

BCOrchidGuy
02-12-2003, 03:57 AM
Thats great to hear all the cautions I almost bought a blue and a yellow sponge today. If sponges aren't such a good idea, what can I put in the lower light areas of my tank, I also have a cave/covered area with nothing in it. I have a 90 gallon with just an inch + of sand in the bottom so the bottom is a good 23 inches from the water surface and I have two 175 watt 10,000 bulbs about 6 inches off the water. Any low light ideas?

Canadian Man
02-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Dont know if this helps or not.

I have some sponges growing in my tank and sump that are a white color with purple pigments througout them.
They just poped out of the rock.

Samw
02-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Here are pics of the sponges that lived and the one that didn't. I might give a blue one another chance when the MH lights go in.

Pink Vase and Orange Flower (Oct 2002)
http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/200210/121-2144_IMG.jpg

Pink Vase Sponge (Nov 2002)

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/FullTank/200212/127-2782_img_std.jpg

Orange Flower and Blue Sponge (Nov 2002)

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/FullTank/200211/124-2456_img_std.jpg

Orange Flower Sponge (Jan 2003)

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/FullTank/200301/132-3268_img_std.jpg

ldzielak
02-12-2003, 06:32 AM
I have had a blue sponge for about 1 1/2 years now. No signs of growth, and has fallen off rocks and still suvives. From what I read they create there own water movement (filtration) so they don't need flow. I believe this now since I broke off a small piece that it down in a hole almost under my love rock. This "frag" had been doing fine for 1 month. The frag is almost out of the light, no flow, but my main piece is in high light, does not make much difference from what I have been through.

Lee

Samw
02-12-2003, 06:49 AM
I have had a blue sponge for about 1 1/2 years now.

Lee, is your blue sponge hard? The blue sponge that I had was very hard. Whereas the 2 sponges that I have still alive are very soft.

Samw
02-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Dont know if this helps or not.

I have some sponges growing in my tank and sump that are a white color with purple pigments througout them.
They just poped out of the rock.

I've got those too growing on my rocks. They're plain white though, no color yet.

PFisher
02-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all of the advice.
From the sounds of it I think that I will try one of the soft orange sponges. After allot more reading of course.

I am very excited to get some color in my tank other than the green hair algae and red flat worms that has plagued me for the past several months. The algae finally appears to be receding, and a FW dip should take care of the flatworms when I move. My tank can once again be a proud centre piece instead of a sickly shadow of its former self.

Delphinus
02-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I have some of the encrusting types Canadian_Man and SamW speak of, except that I have blues, yellows, and lately I am noticing a magenta hue to some of them. Some of the yellow ones do start to get a shape to them, I have one in my 75g that's about half the size of a golfball, but fairly spherical.

Some of the yellow ones that popped up in my sump have been around for years. I have no idea how well the stuff transfers although I did give a piece to Tau2301 at the last Calgary meeting so I guess we can see if the stuff lives if it's taken out of one setting and put into another.

Some of the white stuff doesn't seem to fare well when out in the open. For example I had some on the underside of a rock, that got exposed when I moved the rock from one tank to the other (I was tearing down my 50g at the time). That one seemed to disappear. Whether this was because of sudden exposure to the light, exposure to air for a few seconds, or a lack of acclimitizing, or starvation, or whatever the case ... I haven't a clue.

kgb
02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
i have a purple one and i dont know hwere it can from
it seems to be growing fine for me and i dont give it anything special

kgb
02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
i have a purple one and i dont know hwere it can from
it seems to be growing fine for me and i dont give it anything special