PDA

View Full Version : acyrlic fixing

dreef
01-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Don't know if this is the right section for this ? but here it goes.What's peoples thoughts on fixing this skimmer body ? is it possible ?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/stock_1/Picturevid010.jpg

whiteice669
01-16-2008, 03:20 AM
no problem if you have all the pieces

Chin_Lee
01-16-2008, 04:44 AM
Whichever way or however way you decide to fix that, it won't be pretty. SO......... what I would do is get a thinner piece of clear CAST acrylic (maybe 1/8" or 3/16" max) that you feel will cover the entire area when melted.
Then put the piece overtop of the hole and get a heat gun and start warming up the piece of acrylic. This is going to take a LONG TIME because you are going to do this very very very very very very slowly. You will need to heat it up to the point that it will mould. This is going to take some skill and patience. I would practice bending a piece of acrylic into a 90 degree just to see how it melts and how the acrylic will bubble if you put the heat gun too close to the acrylic. Get to know how hot it needs to get before you can bend acrylic. And wearing heat resistant gloves will help with moulding the piece of acrylic into place.
when the shape is more or less in place, then bath the joining areas with weldon-16.
good luck - its not going to be easy.

untamed
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
I presume that you don't have all the missing pieces. They could be bonded back into place...

Some Methylene Chloride will wick into those cracks and seal them up.

Railskinner
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Who is the skimmer built by?
Maybe you can just order the part that needs to be replaced
I would call the company and explain whats needed and they might
be able to fix you up.
Ive done things like this before and had good luck

dreef
01-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the replys people :) it's a Euro-reef CS8-1 in sump skimmer,damaged from a bad shipping accident.Heck of a nice skimmer,the guy took care of his equipment,and i got it at a great price.I have all of the pieces,but,some of it is like plastic dust.Special thanks to Chin AMAZING instructions.I'm just gathering up the courage to tackle this on the weekend. Thanks again