PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on new skimmer

steve fedyk
01-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm looking to up grade to a better skimmer, and would like some input.
I have 120 G reef setup with sump and refugium, total Volume is about 150 G.
I have a bullet 2 right now, and is very loud and doesn't work as well as I would like. My stand is 42" tall and about 38" of clearance under my stand.

I've been looking at Bubble king mini 300 and Bubble master. Is anyone using one of these and if so how well is it working for you.:biggrin:

fkshiu
01-15-2008, 05:59 AM
I'd go for the Bubble King just so I could say that I have one :)

calkrog
01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
albert posted this in another thread:

TOP NOTCH:

Bubble King - Fantastic build quality, insane performance, unmatched silence and efficiency. Smallest model is, more than likely, too large for your tank (130 gallon min w/ BK Mini 160). $850+

Deltec - Aggressive skimming, trusted brand name, but I don't like them very much. Seems to me like Deltec USA (the master distributor in North America) is gouging the crap out of everyone, considering that these things are cheaper than H&S in Europe/Asia and more expensive than H&S here. $600+.

H&S - Aggressive skimmer. Never heard a complaint about these things, though I've never used one myself. Identical performance to Deltec, cheaper, built like a tank. You probably can't go wrong with H&S if you can find one used. $500+

ATI Bubblemaster - Good skimmer, but requires heavy bioload to operate. Junky build quality (thin plastic), poor product support, but fantastic price vs cost/performance ratio. $500+

GOOD SKIMMERS:

EuroReef - You simply CANNOT beat the price vs. performance ratio on these skimmers. Construction quality is decent, efficiency is very average, the filtering capacity is very good, noise levels are on par with a medium sized air pump (quiet enough for under a cabinet, but don't expect to sleep beside the unit). I use a lot of these, I've also sold a lot of these and I've had no complaints. $240+

Elos - Decent performing skimmer, but WAAAAAAAAY to expensive for what it does. Definitely well constructed though, mine looks like a work of art. $600+

ASM - I dunno, EuroReef's have way better construction and are cheaper to get new (yes, ASM has raised their prices, EuroReef has lowered theirs). Don't bother with these unless you can get one super cheap; like your mom wants to give you one cause she's moving to Montreal to join the circus cheap. $300+

PM Bullet - I don't have any personal experience with these, but a few of my customers use them and they like them. I'm just not a huge fan of injection style skimmers. $400 w/ pump

JUNK STUFF:

SeaClone - Don't. $90+

Coralife Super Skimmer - These are fine if you're a dirt poor, starving college student or a parent with a family of seven. If these don't apply to you, stay away. $120+

Aqua C Urchin - I use to sell these. They worked, but for the price point, EuroReef's definitely are of better value. $190+

All the misc. Chinese made copy products - Most of them are either sub-par to okay skimmers for low prices. If you have the money, dont' waste your time with these things.

digital-audiophile
01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Personally if I had the cash to blow I would get a bubble king. Sexiest piece of fish equipment I have ever seen.

I have a euroreef myself and like it.. just kind of a pain to adjust.. I'm thinking with the gate valave mod it would be perfect.

VFX
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Does nobody use Aquamedic skimmers over here?

fencer
01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Okay so the real question is how do you make a inefficent skimmer better? Say a coralife....which I use and I am poor.....I have been thinking about modding it to use Beckett nozzles. and a recircloop.

SeaShell
01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm not really sure what I've got..... backpack something something or other? Remora C? I dunno.....