PDA

View Full Version : Taste/Odor Component

EmilyB
01-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Does anyone use the last stage ? I found that I (after the DI at 0) registered TDS after the taste/odor component (AquaSafe) so I've never used it since. I have about five sitting around.

Can't one order all the components separately? I know SilverMax has some carbon, but I want the carbon block as well as the carbon filter. I don't want to get five more last stage that I never use. Any ideas?

fencer
01-14-2008, 06:12 AM
I am not familiar with the aquasafe. You should be able to order all the parts separately. But if you check in any water purification store even RONA these carts might be very standard relative to size. You might save a few bucks too. My unit takes off the shelf carts. I have a company in BC where I bought mine if you would like his name LMO.

christyf5
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I found the taste/odor filter actually added to my TDS (it was coming out around 2 and without it was at 0). I usually just turf it out. You're right though, it'd be nice if they'd just not ship it if you don't need it.

Couldn't you just use two carbon filters?

Brent F
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
I use the final stage only because my RO unit is built in under the Kitchen sink and Calgary water gets pretty skunky smelling in the spring. Probably wouldn't use it if the RO unit was used for tanks only.
________
digital vaporizer (http://vaporshop.com)

EmilyB
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I found the taste/odor filter actually added to my TDS (it was coming out around 2 and without it was at 0). I usually just turf it out. You're right though, it'd be nice if they'd just not ship it if you don't need it.

Couldn't you just use two carbon filters?

I wonder how long they would last compared to a carbon block filter?

justinl
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
water with a TDS of zero tastes gross and isn't as nutritional (if that's the right word) as water with the right minerals. if you use ro/di for drinking water, you're basically stripping the water of everything; good or bad, doesnt matter. the last stage adds the minerals back in after it's been stripped. so obviously, yes it's better to leave out the last stage for making tank water.

christyf5
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
I wonder how long they would last compared to a carbon block filter?

I'm not sure, but are you talking about the GAC filter or the "coconut shell" one? I thought they both did the same thing but the coconut shell one did some particulate filtering as well?

digital-audiophile
01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Not to Hijack, but does anyone have a picture of their aquasafe syatem set up? Theie instructions are crap and I have no idea which one is the final stage?