PDA

View Full Version : high specific gravity

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:04 AM
did a specific gavity test of my tank tonight found it to be very high.what would be a good remidy for this?

thanks salty ron.................

skylord
01-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Whats very high? What are you using to test with? Do you know how long it has been high?

Scott

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:08 AM
i think the salt content

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:09 AM
was useing a hydrometer

christyf5
01-14-2008, 02:12 AM
What is the reading on your hydrometer?

I would gradually bring the levels down by adding fresh water (ie water containing no salt). Do this over a period of a few days to a week depending on how high it is. Don't do it all at once or you may shock the tank and some stuff may die.

Myka
01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Skylord meant what is the actual salinity reading that you're calling 'high'?

First, use this link to calibrate your hydrometer. They are notoriously inaccurate. In fact, I have never used one that read correctly. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php Then come back here and tell us what the actual reading is after you calibrate. :)

You should be adding plain unsalted RO water to top off the evaporation - water evaporates, but salt does not so the salinity will creep higher and higher as the water evaporates. You should top off at least once a day, but twice a day is better.

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:15 AM
the top of the scale

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:23 AM
i think the hydrometer is accurate its new. got some coarls today and tested the water with it and it read 1.022 took a reading of my tank and it was1.032

christyf5
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM
I would just acclimate the corals to your tank water and get your water tested by someone with a refractometer before you make any major changes. Take your hydrometer along so you can see if it really is accurate or if it is off. That way you can still use it and adjust for its error if it is. I would get a refractometer if you can though, they're much more accurate.

Myka
01-14-2008, 02:29 AM
i think the hydrometer is accurate its new. got some coarls today and tested the water with it and it read 1.022 took a reading of my tank and it was1.032

Most hydrometers are inaccurate by 0.001 or more right out of the box. You should be aiming for 1.025-1.026. Set up some airline tubing with a little ball valve on one end, and set it to drip about 1-2 drops per second. Allow the corals to "drip acclimate" like this for an hour or so. Corals can handle a salinty change much better than fish. If your salinity truely is 1.032 then you should take about a week to slowly drop it to 1.026.

skylord
01-14-2008, 02:31 AM
So about 43% or 1.032. First I would make sure the hydrometer is working. Try soaking it in water for a half hour(you could just drop it in the tank. Then take 3 readings about 15 minutes apart. If they are all the same then follow Christyf5s advice. If not the same or very close, take a sample to a friend or LFS and have them test it. Just make sure when you are testing that the swing arm isnt sticking.

Scott

skylord
01-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Wow.. a lot of posts real fast. Im about 30 min from PoMo.....Im bored. If you want to meet somewhere I will bring my refrac and we can test your water.

Scott

KrazyKuch
01-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Most hydrometers are inaccurate by 1.001 or more right out of the box.

Are you sure that they are out that much, because if thats true then he doesn't even really have salt water...just kinda salty water....Or water that is so salty that it's probably a tank of damp salt!

I think what you meant to say was that they are usually out by .001

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:48 AM
i think i did this right. 1/4 cup of salt+1tsp in 2ltrs of purifide water. mixed it and took a reading,it was at 1.o23

Myka
01-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Are you sure that they are out that much, because if thats true then he doesn't even really have salt water...just kinda salty water....Or water that is so salty that it's probably a tank of damp salt!

I think what you meant to say was that they are usually out by .001

HAHAHAHA!!! Yep I meant 0.001. I'm too used to typing the first "1".

salty-ron
01-14-2008, 02:58 AM
thank you all for the info i have the coarls totaly cover in water that i got with the coarls in a plastic tote that i use for mixing my water, have a heater and a small power head in there i will get my water tested tomorrow and go buy a refractometer. if it is high them i will do as christy says and thanks for the offer from skylord for wanting to meet. ithought i would check the water of the coarls to match the tank.any way thanks to all for helping a baginner

chow salty ron.......................

Myka
01-14-2008, 03:06 AM
i think i did this right. 1/4 cup of salt+1tsp in 2ltrs of purifide water. mixed it and took a reading,it was at 1.o23

Then you have one of the few accurate hydrometers out there!! Congrats! :p Be sure to check it at least a few times a year or whenever it seems suspicious.

So I'd say take a week to drop your salinity from the 1.032 to 1.026.

VFX
01-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Wow.. a lot of posts real fast. Im about 30 min from PoMo.....Im bored. If you want to meet somewhere I will bring my refrac and we can test your water.

Scott

Wow, people on this board are such nice guys!

Always willing to help!

KrazyKuch
01-14-2008, 04:08 AM
do you have any fish, corals or clean up crew in the tank allready, if not then you don't need to wait to drop the salinity