PDA

View Full Version : Changing fish again

Skimmerking
02-10-2003, 02:21 PM
:roll:

Well I'm going to be getting into the DISCUS fish now and, will be selling off my other ones. :wink: Well Here is a question for ya weho have had discus. CAn i keep pleco's and green severums with them.

bongy
02-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Pleco will depends on which species and what size.

Severum definitely No. I got a mating pair that will even bite my finger. I wouldn't even keep angel with them.

Bongy

GregJ
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
You can keep bristlenose pecos with them, all the others will try and eat there slim, that i know of. It wouldn't be a good idea to keep severum with them, they are far to aggressive.

Skimmerking
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
WEll thanks for the input. IO have a bristlenose pleco now :P I also have a couple of tiger loaches i think. That's what they look like and can i have dojo loaches along with kulwe loaches to. So pretty much Discus are a species only right.

thanks for all advice

bongy
02-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Actually no. You can keep many other fish with Discus.

Most small tetra such as neon are OK. Dwarf cichlids like ram are fine too. You really have some choices there.

Bongy

StirCrazy
02-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Actually no. You can keep many other fish with Discus.

Most small tetra such as neon are OK.

Bongy

ya ok for Discus food :wink:

Steve

bongy
02-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Yes.. Live food for your discus.

OK, not too tiny. However, small tetra such as rummy nose, cardinal, emperor would still be OK.

Bongy

Skimmerking
02-13-2003, 05:28 PM
CAn't make up my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I was thinking about doing Brackish too I really like the puffer's alot too. ANd I will be close to salt again. Man I feel like a women!!!!! :D Can';t make up my mind.....

Anyways I evaporting around 5 gallons per week is that normal in the setup. Doug was telling me it is from the air mixing with the tank water, which causes the waer to evaporate. Is there a way that i can slow down the evaporation in the tank ...

P.S If i go salt the wife wont know abotu the fish in there so i could accidently pour in a couple buckets of salt ansd well i wouild want to waste it. ANd when she ask where are all the fish I say that they are on order

MAN I HAVE THIS WORK OUT :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BCOrchidGuy
03-16-2003, 03:51 PM
IMHO Discus shouldn't be kept with any other fish, they are delicate but stunning. They should be kept in a bare tank, 25% w/c a couple times a week to daily should be done.

Seriously, if you want them to pair up and breed be prepared to spend 2+ hours a day on them.

I had 3 spawning pairs and they were more work than the 60+ other tanks I had going at the same time.

ron101
03-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Agreed.

While there are fish that may share the same water parameter preferences as Discus (angels and tetras), there are other issues to keep in mind. Discus can be picky eaters; adding competition for food can lead to malnutrition. Other fish may be carriers but resistant to certain illnesses that Discus are not so resistant to.

rossb
05-01-2003, 05:39 PM
you wrote:
I had 3 spawning pairs and they were more work than the 60+ other tanks I had going at the same time.

60 tanks...that's a lot of fish to keep going...do you ever get any sleep?

BCOrchidGuy
05-01-2003, 05:54 PM
I do now that I only have 8 tanks going.