PDA

View Full Version : Aragonite

Dara
01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I've just set up a new tank and put two bags of aragonite in it. I washed it as best I can and it's been about 13 hours now and the tank is still very cloudy. Just wondering if anyone has used this stuff and how long it takes to settle. Is it safe to run my filter or should I wait? Thanks!

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
WHAT TYPE OF FILTERS ARE YOU USING? IF IT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN PUT FILTER FLOSS IN, I HAVE FOUND THAT TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE IN CLEARING WATER CLARITY QUICKLY. JUST TAKE OUT YOUR REGULAR MEDIA AND PUT THE FILTER FLOSS IN..ONCE WATER IS CLEAR, REMOVE FLOSS AND REINSTALL YOUR REGULAR MEDIA...:biggrin:

Doug
01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Moving to the reef forum for you Dara

mark
01-12-2008, 07:45 PM
On my first tank I added a DSB (after removing the CC substrate). Thought gave a really good rinse, added using a 2" pipe, but everything still went milky. After about 12 hours could only see about 3" in and started getting really worried but after 24hrs had cleared right up.

I ran the filters and skimmer, though the skimmer was probably a waste (would keep filling cup). Wasn't until things cleared up that could I dial the skimmer back in.

Dara
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks! Do you think it's safe to add some fish?

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I wouldnt put any fish in it yet. First wait for the water to clear then I would still be giving it some time to cycle. If you must add fish, use chromis's to help the tank cycle.:biggrin:

mark
01-12-2008, 09:08 PM
When I changed to the DSB the tank had already been up for a few weeks and had cycled with just the LR but hadn't added fish yet (don't need fish for a cycle btw).

If your tank is really new, it will need to establish (cycle) first. If you add to soon, you'll just end up killing things, go slow.

Myka
01-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks! Do you think it's safe to add some fish?

I'm meaning no offense when I say that this question points out that you need to do more research.

Here is a pretty good reef basics website: http://www.reefbasics.com/index.html

Particularly check out the "Aquarium Cycle" section. :)

One thing I disagree with in the article is that they suggest you add your sand first, and then your rock afterward. I prefer to put the rock in first, let it cycle (you can siphon off detritus easily without sand), then add the sand around the rock. If the rock is sitting on top of the sand there will be a time when a critter digs underneath toppling the rock, and maybe even injuring or killing itself. If the rock is stable on the bottom glass without the sand, then is less likely to happen.

Regarding your sand, it may take a week for the sand to settle. There are many fine particles that don't stay down well until they have a (good) bacteria coating, which won't likely happen until a week or so after you add the rock.

albert_dao
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
You should ditch the sand for a couple months. As Myka stated, it can always be added after the cycle, or not at all if you prefer an easier system. Sand is like... auto lose for beginners.