PDA

View Full Version : Rena Filstar XP3

Dara
01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this line of filters. On the instructions there is a warning that the product contains a chemical that is cancer causing and can cause birth defects and other reproductive issues in humans. Obviously I am going to call the company when they are open but just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and what cautions I should take as I am expecting.

I have the Rena smart heater and it also states this too? Thanks for any input!

Zoaelite
01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I used Rena's on my cichlids tanks and I prefer them HIGHLY over fluvals. Much better quality. Dont know anything about the toxin though :\ (Havn't given birth latley though ;))
Levi

StirCrazy
01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Fuvals are a better filter but more expensive, rena's are the best for the price though.

Steve

albert_dao
01-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Fuvals are a better filter but more expensive, rena's are the best for the price though.

Steve

WHHHHHAAAAAAAT???? Fluval's are such POS's IMO. I have one running at home and it's such a pain to clean and prime. The XP3 is so much easier to work it.

andresont
01-13-2008, 02:39 AM
I use to have both on my FW tank and prefer Rena; quieter, easier to service and wider box so you can pack in any way you want.
as for the chemicals we would never know for sure whats what unless comprehensive testing done on both materials.
Any plastic would give off some toxins when heated but in room temperatures it is inert IMO

Myka
01-13-2008, 03:04 AM
WHHHHHAAAAAAAT???? Fluval's are such POS's IMO.

I agree!!!

As for the birtch defects and cancer...holy moly that's interesting!!! Please update us when you find out.

StirCrazy
01-15-2008, 01:23 AM
WHHHHHAAAAAAAT???? Fluval's are such POS's IMO. I have one running at home and it's such a pain to clean and prime. The XP3 is so much easier to work it.

which one do you have? the X04 series had some problems with the case leaking, that was fixed in the X05 seried. I have a 404 which I spent 35 bucks and got the updated case for it. I cannot hear it run at all, and it primes with in 10 seconds, except the first time where it is about 1 min.

Steve

Pan
01-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this line of filters. On the instructions there is a warning that the product contains a chemical that is cancer causing and can cause birth defects and other reproductive issues in humans. Obviously I am going to call the company when they are open but just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and what cautions I should take as I am expecting.

I have the Rena smart heater and it also states this too? Thanks for any input!
I think that is newer becuase of the lawsuit pending with plastics. number 7 plastic or something like that. They say it is toxic. which incidentally is what most drinking water bottles are made out of (refillable ones at least) so they are covering their bases with a warning.

Polycarbonate plastic, which can only be produced by using B.P.A., creates bottles that are transparent and almost as hard as glass, but particularly shatter-resistant.

Recently, however, the use of B.P.A.-based plastics in food containers has questioned in Canada by Environmental Defence , a Toronto-based group. Environmentalists in the United States are also raising concerns about the chemical.

Last year, San Francisco’s board of governors passed a local law banning the use of the chemical in children’s products. B.P.A. was removed from the ordinance before it went into effect, however, after an industry lawsuit.

Critics point to studies dating back to 1936 showing that the chemical can disrupt the hormonal system.

While there is little dispute about that, the plastics industry, supported by several studies from government agencies in Japan, North America and Europe, contends that polycarbonate bottles contain very little of the chemical and release only insignificant amounts of B.P.A. into the bodies of users.

“Rarely has a chemical been the subject of such intense scientific testing and scrutiny, and still, important agencies across the globe agree that there is no danger posed to humans from polycarbonate bottles,” Tom Cummins, the director of research and development at Nalge Nunc, said in a statement.

Rick Smith, the executive director of Environmental Defence, said that a paper published by 38 scientists after a government-sponsored conference in the United States found that the lack of research on the effects of B.S.A. on humans was a concern that required further investigation.

Steven G. Hentges, the executive director of the American Chemistry Council’s polycarbonate group, takes issue with that report’s worries and points to a separate expert panel report published by the United States Department of Health and Human Services last month.

In its 396-page report, which looked only at the impact of B.S.A. on reproduction, the panel said it had “negligible concern” about the chemical’s effect on adult reproductive systems but raised some concerns about its impact on children and pregnant women.

Health Canada will release its first comment from its current study of B.S.A. and several other chemicals in May 2008.

albert_dao
01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
which one do you have? the X04 series had some problems with the case leaking, that was fixed in the X05 seried. I have a 404 which I spent 35 bucks and got the updated case for it. I cannot hear it run at all, and it primes with in 10 seconds, except the first time where it is about 1 min.

Steve

XO4 and XO5? I can't find these things online. I'm familiar with the XP series (XP1, 2, 3 and 4).

Pan
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
XO4 and XO5? I can't find these things online. I'm familiar with the XP series (XP1, 2, 3 and 4).

o is next to p on keyboard...probably a mistype :)

StirCrazy
01-18-2008, 03:35 AM

404 X meaning a number

Steve