PDA

View Full Version : If i were to start a 60g reef what would i need?

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Okay i found a guy thats selling a 60g tank and a 60g sump and maybe a pump what else would i need?

hillbillyreefer
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hillbillyreefer
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Alright I'll start the list.

Stand
Plumbing
RO/DI water
Lights
Salt
Heater
Probably more flow
Test Kits
Refractometer,hydrometer
LR
Sand (maybe)

Way more stuff just starting the list.

VFX
01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
add to that list...

a good protein skimmer

...and an understanding spouse!

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
THEN YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO PUT IN TANK.. THATS THE FUN PART..EXPENSIVE TOO..:biggrin:

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Lol i'm 13 maybe understanding parents
can you list the best brand and that kind of stuff

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
As for brands, if you are trying to keep costs down, try using this forum for good used equipment. There might be several opinions on different types of equipment so do your homework and read, read , read. Some people swear by German aquarium products, but there are lots of good products out there. Check Craigslist too. Being in Edmonton I encourage fellow reefers to suggest a good aquarium/pet store in your area. Maybe even some local breeders and suppliers. Remember the first No/No in a marine tank is to rush it and not do your research. I am always learning new things from this and other reef forums ...aint the internet great!!:biggrin:

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM
oh i've been researching for like 3 months so i'm quite educated

CLINT
01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
I second the skimmer.Better to get something rated for more tank than you have.Euroreef makes good skimmers and theres others I just dont own them and don't know.I have a euroreef rs100 on my 20g and love it.Make sure you take your time to no sense in rushing in and losing livestock.Clint

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm just thinking about livestock as one piece of the puzzle i won't put the peices together until i get all of them.

VFX
01-13-2008, 02:40 AM
I like Deltec skimmers.

I've used MCE600 & AP600 before.

Both performed really well (I've currently got a MCE600)

Deltec Skimmers (http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/index.php)

But I'm planning a 120-150g tank and everyone I speak to around here seems to be recommending Bubble Kings (if you have the $$$ that is!)

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 02:53 AM
If i buy a skimmer it will be for a 70g not a sixty so i get better results.
I'll buy everything a size 2 big

VFX
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd recommend going even further than a 70g rated skimmer for a 60g tank.

The Deltec MCE600 Skimmer I was running in my 60g was rated for 120g for a heavily stocked tank or 200g for a lightly stocked tank.

Realistically it's probably only good for normally stocked reef tanks up to 90g or so.

Maybe the RS100 (http://www.euro-reef.com/rs100specs.shtml) or RS135 (http://www.euro-reef.com/rs135specs.shtml) Euro Reef skimmer or something similar, might suit your needs.

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Can somebody run me through the parts of a sump and show me a diagram. Also can you tell me what a skimmer does. As in what it takes up?
Okay heres the list of things that i think i'll need.
Light
Flow
Skimmer
Sump
Pump
LR
LS
DS
Overflow
Heater
Can you list the things i missed and the best brand for a 70g. H*** with the cost right now.

VFX
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Just to help others help you better, what are you planning on keeping in your reef?

Hard corals? SPS? LPS? Soft corals? Clams? Zoo's? What kind of fishes? etc.

These might determine what lighting you'll need & if you need things like calcium reactors.

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 06:46 PM
If you can wait a week or so i'll be going to my local fish store and i'll look at what the have. this is my list so far

Fish

2 clowns
RedFire Fish
Longnosed Hawkfish
Magenta Dottyback
Lawnmower Blenny
CUC

Coral

Zoas
Dusters

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Is there any other fish and coral that would go good?

VFX
01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
A Volitans Lionfish?

I'd be wary of keeping one of these in a reef.

I've heard of people who've successfully done it but personally I wouldn't.

They may chew up your CUC & be agressive towards your other fish.

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The Volitan Lionfish is nothing like the redfire fish. What are you trying to get at?

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
New list

Fish

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Longnosed Hawkfish
Mandarin Goby
Clownfish
Magenta Dottyback
Lawnmower Blenny
Starfish

CUC?

Coral

Clam
Zoanthids
Coco Worm
Tube Worms

Pan
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't put a cuc in there, but then I have had a few bad experiences with them. But I know just as many who have had good ones. I would say if it catches your eye and you weigh any risks accordingly, then go for it. After all it's your tank :)

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
What is cuc in your eyes to me it is Clean Up Crew?

Pan
01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
oops, not thinking sorry. Was thinkin CUCumber :)

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 10:07 PM
That isn't what i had in mind but on the otherhand i've never seen one.

VFX
01-13-2008, 10:24 PM
The Volitan Lionfish is nothing like the redfire fish. What are you trying to get at?

Sorry, by Red Fire Fish, I thought you meant one of these... (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/lions/blacklion.php)

Or this (http://www.uga.edu/cuda/firefishes.html)

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
LoL:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
What oxygenates the water in a saltwater aquarium?

Brent F
01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
What oxygenates the water in a saltwater aquarium?

Your protein skinmmer does a good job of oxygenating.

Flow to and from a sump does as well
________
home made vaporizer (http://homemadevaporizers.info)

SeaSerpant
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Again...
New List

Fish/invertebrates

Longnosed Hawkfish
Mandarin Goby
Clownfish
Magenta Dottyback
Lawnmower Blenny
Harlequin Starfish

CUC (what kind should i get that will do all the jobs)

Corals

Clam
Zoanthids
Coco Worm
Tube Worms
Orange Cup Coral
Branching Hammer
Frogspawn
Pulsing Xenia
Orange Ricordea Mushroom
Orange Ball Anemone

Brent F
01-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Read up on some of those fish. You have one that would likely starve in a 70 gal tank.

You also would need some expensive lighting if you want to keep clams.
________
buy no2 vaporizer (http://no2vaporizer.net)

VFX
01-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Brent is 100% correct about the starving fish!

I tried & failed to keep a Mandarin healthy in my 2 yr old 60g tank.

This was despite the fact that I built a 'pod safety zone' pile using LR rubble, had a large population on pods as a result & even had my Mandarin feed occasionally on fish roe & frozen food.

My Mandarin was not amazingly fat when I got him & he did fatten up a little bit, but eventually, despite my pod population being almost at infestation levels & my Madarin seemingly eating well, he got skinny looking & ended up in pretty bad shape.

I had him 4 months & he went from slightly skinny to really emaciated & I felt really sh***y about it :sad:

A harsh lesson learned despite the fact that I read up everything I could find & asked for lots of advice on forums.

I had to give him away to a friend with a 4 yr old 200g reef.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 12:26 AM
I haven't looked up the fish but i have looked up the coral. Why would they starve? I found out the dimensions of the tank. It is 48x20x15 thanks.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Okay what would be the average Length and width of a overflow for a 60g tank?

VFX
01-14-2008, 12:41 AM
I haven't looked up the fish but i have looked up the coral. Why would they starve? I found out the dimensions of the tank. It is 48x20x15 thanks.

Madarins starve in aquariums because they're extremely picky about what they eat.

They usually feed off copepods & amphipods in the wild, but despite making sure there was a more than adequate supply in my mature tank, it still starved.

With those dimensions, your tank would be around 62g.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 12:57 AM
awesome. Thanks so any more things to add to my list. or anything wrong with it. (new one on pg 3) I am also getting a sump with it. The sump has the same dimensions. so my whole tank will be 122g :)

Brent F
01-14-2008, 01:22 AM
awesome. Thanks so any more things to add to my list. or anything wrong with it. (new one on pg 3) I am also getting a sump with it. The sump has the same dimensions. so my whole tank will be 122g :)

How are you going to suport a tank with the sump being the same size?
________
BMW R1200GS (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1200GS)

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't know

VFX
01-14-2008, 01:40 AM
How was it set up before?

Is the tank drilled?

How many baffles are there in the sump?

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 01:53 AM
I'll ask. I have my stand being built by me on google sketchup. if you have it i'll post it on the warehouse place. In a bit though.

Brent F
01-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Typically a sump as smaller length and width than the main tank so that there is room for support under the main tank.

You need to know the interior dimensions of your stand before buying a sump
________
buy silver surfer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 02:20 AM
I haven't made it yet. I'll post pics when i'm done.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 02:37 AM
I'll post the pics tommorow nite.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I couldn't sleep so here are the results.
(This what he says)
These tanks actually sat on top of each others glass work. It was actually pretty scary looking. If i recall correctly, there is 6 baffles on the sump
The tank is drilled with an overflow. The sump is also drilled for a return.

I have the stand results (bones and still rough draft till next week)2256

I have better pictures but note the sticking out bar.

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Anyone have google Sketchup. An thoughts?

SeaSerpant
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Maximum Size: the Paracheilinus mccoskeri grows up to 4 inches.
General Size Specifications: This fish will come to you generally around 2 to 3 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The McCosker's Flasher Wrasse prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Paracheilinus mccoskeri is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of meats (fish, scallop, shrimp, squid, clam).
Level of Care: The McCosker Flasher Wrasse is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The McCosker Flasher Wrasse may act peacefully toward other fish.
Hardiness: This is a hardy fish.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Longnosed Hawkfish

Maximum Size: the Oxycirrhites typus grows up to 5 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 2 to 3 inches; the large generally 3 to 5 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Longnose Hawkfish prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Oxycirrhites typus is a carnivore and likes to eat meaty treats (like feeder shrimp).
Level of Care: The Longnose Hawkfish is a low maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Longnose Hawkfish may act aggressively toward other fish.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Mandarin Goby

Maximum Size: The Pterosynchiropus splendidus grows up to 2.5 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 1½ inches; the medium generally 1½ to 2½ inches; the large generally 2½ to 4 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Green Mandarin Goby prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Pterosynchiropus splendidus is a carnivore and likes to eat mostly copepods in well established tanks. May learn to accept mysis shrimp and flakes with time and patience.
Level of Care: The Green Mandarin Goby is a high maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Green Mandarin Goby may act peacefully toward other fish.
Breeding: Able to breed.

Percula Clownfish

Maximum Size: the Amphiprion percula grows up to 3 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally ¾ to 1¼ inches; the medium generally 1¼ to 2½ inches; the large generally 2½ to 4 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The True Percula Clown prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Amphiprion percula is a omnivore and likes to eat variety of foods (meats & veggies).
Level of Care: The True Percula Clown is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The True Percula Clown may act semi-aggressively toward other fish.
Breeding: Able to breed.

Magenta Dottyback

Maximum Size: the Pseudochromis porphyreus grows up to 3 inches.
General Size Specifications: This fish will come to you generally around 1 to 2 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Strawberry/Purple Pseudochromis prefers a tank of at least 10 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Pseudochromis porphyreus is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of meat treats, Mysis Shrimp, prepared foods.
Level of Care: The Strawberry/Purple Pseudochromis is a low maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Strawberry/Purple Pseudochromis may act semi-aggressively toward other fish.

Lawnmower Blenny

Maximum Size: The Salarias fasciatus grows up to 5 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1-1/2 - 2-1/2 inches, medium about 3 - 4 inches and large about 4 - 5 inches, not including the caudal fin.
Minimum Tank Size: The Lawnmower Blenny prefers a tank of at least 30 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Salarias fasciatus is a herbivore and likes to eat algae off the rocks, glass and sand, marine and spirulina algae, regular and veggie flake food, pellets and may eat mysis shrimp.
Level of Care: The Lawnmower Blenny is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Lawnmower Blenny may act peacefully (but may become territorial) toward other fish. Tends to dislike other Blennies with similar body type.

Thanks to http://marinedepotlive.com
Does that help?

kwirky
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
I would have "X" beams on those stands because a strong enough shove in any direction would make the stands snap apart and you'd have glass and water crashing on the floor. I'd have X supports on the back of each stand, and on the outer sides of the stands wherever possible.

SeaSerpant
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm just doing a rough draft of everything. the actual thing will be done by a different person. Okay i just handed in a application form for tim hortons. if they take me i'll start a build thread.

SeaSerpant
01-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Ok Here are some better pics of the tanks and sump and stand22642263

Edmonton Eskimo
01-15-2008, 02:29 AM
I do believe that stand will be covered with plywood or something similar as the pics are just the skeleton. No cross bracing will be needed. The 2*4 construction skinned with plywood will be plenty strong.

SeaSerpant
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Ok. so it would work. thanks. um. how much would it approximatly cost to make it like this with 2*4s plywood and paint?

SeaSerpant
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Can someone tell me how much sand would i need? What kind of aroganite sand would i need. Sugar, .05 - .1,? Can someone tell me what i should feed all of the fish and coral and when to?

SeaSerpant
01-16-2008, 02:39 AM
mflamb from reefcentral i had asked about the lights came up up with this
On your tank with those animals, I would make two 12 inch reflectors, and use 12K, 175 watt metal halide bulbs/reflectors, and put a T-5 actinic bulb in front and behind the metal halides. The color would be great and you would get good growth from the corals.

Anyone give me a template on how to make the reflectors. and where to get the materials?

VFX
01-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Cost of stand?

Just calculate how much 2x2, 2x4 & how many ply panels you'll need (add some extra in case you need it) and head down to your local DIY store. to price it up.

Then add cost of finishing & joining & anything else you might need (varnish, nails, screws, handles, hinges, adhesives, tools etc.)

As for what to feed your fish & when?

Hope I don't sound condescending but, judging by the nature of this question, I'd be sure to do more research on every single bit of livestock you plan on getting.

And then research some more.

oh & I wouldn't reccommend a Mandarin Goby for a newly set up tank. Especially a 60g one!

michika
01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
mflamb from reefcentral i had asked about the lights came up up with this
On your tank with those animals, I would make two 12 inch reflectors, and use 12K, 175 watt metal halide bulbs/reflectors, and put a T-5 actinic bulb in front and behind the metal halides. The color would be great and you would get good growth from the corals.

Anyone give me a template on how to make the reflectors. and where to get the materials?

You could also just order a batwing reflector from somewhere like J&L and put both bulbs in that. 175w bulbs are great, however just so you know not everyone carries them all the time. Cheapest place to get them is either J&L or Hidden Reef.

Bulbs that are more yellow-white, in the 10k range will give you better growth but most everything will be brown/green-brown, bulbs that are more blue, in the 20k range will give you brighter colors, but they will be mostly purples and blues. Most people aim for a 12-15k bulb to maximize both growth and color. Really though its all about personal prefernce.

Are you going to suppliment your MH lighting?

SeaSerpant
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
what do you mean by supplement?

Brent F
01-17-2008, 12:09 AM
what do you mean by supplement?

Use another light such as actinics with your metal halides to suplement the colour range

SeaSerpant
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey. yah i was going to do that to.
mflamb from reefcentral i had asked about the lights came up up with this On your tank with those animals, I would make two 12 inch reflectors, and use 12K, 175 watt metal halide bulbs/reflectors, and put a T-5 actinic bulb in front and behind the metal halides. The color would be great and you would get good growth from the corals. here is a pic of what hes done. How do you post more pictures than you "quota".

Brent F
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
How do you post more pictures than you "quota".

Delete some old ones or use photobucket

SeaSerpant
01-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks brent f. Okay here are the pics. http://s252.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/SeaSerpant/c3545a67.pbw
Ok that is the lights for mflamb's tank. Here is the link to his build page for the lights http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=962136&perpage=25&pagenumber=12

Ok can anyone put the best brands they think would be good for a

70g skimmer

Pump(for flow)

Pump(for sump)

Salt

Heater

Anything i missed

Thanks
SeaSerpant

VFX
01-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Best Salt (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37875)

Skimmers 01 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32504&page=1)

Skimmers 02 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37735)

Heaters (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38331)

SeaSerpant
01-17-2008, 02:15 AM
If i put a 250watt heater in my sump would it do the job? Thanks. any more.

VFX
01-17-2008, 06:13 AM
If i put a 250watt heater in my sump would it do the job? Thanks. any more.

I would use 2 150w heaters instead of one 250w.

Also I'd use a controller instead of relying on the heaters built in thermostat.

Others may do it differently but I found that way has always worked for me.

michika
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
You may want to start a tank journal thread. It will allow people to keep up with your progress, comment, and offer you suggestions.

As for pumps, do you know what kind of return & flow you are going for? I noticed you said you wanted clams, and corals. I would first figure out how your going to return the water from your sump to your display. Some suggestions are a manifold, closed loop.

I personally like the Reeflo pumps (reeflopumps.com) because you can dial them back, and they are reasonably efficient when it comes to energy.

I also second the suggestion to use two heaters over one. It has saved me at least once.

You are smart to choose a skimmer above your expected capacity. Go big, its worth it, especially when your tank becomes more established and the bioload increases. I've only ever used 3 brand-name skimmers, so I don't have any recommendations for you. I run an Octopus right now and it does well, but I'm unsure how it would work on a larger system like yours. Watch the buy/sell forums for DIY skimmers, sometimes they are both cheap and extrememly well functioning.

SeaSerpant
01-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for all the help. VFX i took your advice and made a build thread. If i need further help this is where you can help me http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38703
Thanks again
SeaSerpant