PDA

View Full Version : PH Monitors

rocketlily
01-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I am thinking of buying a PH monitor. Any advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

mark
01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
American Marine (Pinpoint) and Milwaukee are common.

Probes are replaceable and last only so long so when a Canreef vendor (http://www.aqua-digital.com/ ) was offering theirs at about 1/2 the cost of others, I got a couple. Seems to hold calibration. When I pulled up their link, see they have cheaper monitors now as well.

Make sure you get the test fluids.

surgeonfish
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I have used the American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor for 4 years with no problems and am still using the original probe. I would recommend a digital meter. Just attach the probe to your tank or sump and everytime you walk by the tank you have an accurate reading of your pH.

trilinearmipmap
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I have 2 American Marine Pinpoint monitors, one on my reef tank and one for my calcium reactor. The monitors work well and are easy to calibrate.

I question whether anyone really needs a pH monitor on a reef tank. If you are measuring your Alk and your Alk is high enough, your pH should automatically be OK. I have come to the conclusion that my fish and corals don't care what the pH is and I focus on Alk, not pH.

untamed
01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I have 2 American Marine Pinpoint monitors, one on my reef tank and one for my calcium reactor. The monitors work well and are easy to calibrate.

I question whether anyone really needs a pH monitor on a reef tank. If you are measuring your Alk and your Alk is high enough, your pH should automatically be OK. I have come to the conclusion that my fish and corals don't care what the pH is and I focus on Alk, not pH.

I mostly agree. Measuring the tank pH is largely not necessary. It is cool, though!

mark
01-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Sort of same here, I'm using my monitor for my reactor, rarely on my tank. Though when first setting up the reactor, was monitoring the tank more often to get an idea if the effluent was having an effect.