PDA

View Full Version : Electirc blue jack dempseys?

saltwatermaniac
01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey guys I have been looking for some new chiclids for my tank and I came across these on the internet does anyone know where I can find them in edmonton?

here are pics of juvi and adult.

rayfong
01-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Electric Blue Jack Dempseys are pretty hard to find in the city. I don't see them often. I think I have seen them at PJ's and at Paradise Pets. They are not cheap though.

i have crabs
01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
i seen some at petland in calgary, yesterday

fatpuffer
01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I bought one from Red Deer Petland. He was about one and half inch long. Now he is probably around 7.5-8 inches. Very mellow. Here is a picture of him. There was a mishap when he was little (puffer bit his dorsal fin all the way to the tissue) and his dorsal fin has been permanently damaged.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/Smuckers1.jpg

Js

banditpowdercoat
01-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Are they Freshwater or Brackish?

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
wow they look awesome.

J.Lloy
01-12-2008, 06:25 PM
You can also try Big Al's I've seen them there once before.

fatpuffer
01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Pure freshwater. The puffer m. turgidus was also a pure fw puffer that bit his dorsal fin when he was little. Just make sure you get it from a reputable dealer. This is one of the Rapp's order the Petland made a while back.

Ask BA where they get their stock and research. There are a lot of bad batches out there due to inbreeding and such.

Js

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
ALTHOUGH THEY ARE A VERY ATTRACTIVE FISH, THEY ARE BY CICHLID STANDARDS VERY DOCILE.. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFULL WHAT YOU INTRODUCE THEM IN OR TO. I HAVE HAD A FEW IN THE PAST AND HAD THEM IN A 130G FRESHIE TANK. THERE WERE ALSO TEXAS CICHLIDS AND REGULAR DEMPSEYS AS WELL..ALL CICHLIDS WERE ABOUT THE SAME SIZE..THE ELECTRICS GOT THE CRAP BEATEN OUT OF THEM..HAD TO SEPARATE THEM. THIS WAS A TANK WITH LOTS OF PLANTS AND COVER AS WELL. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU KEEP THEM ALONE OR WITH SMALL COMPANIONS..WHO KNOWS YOU MIGHT GET A FISH WITH A TIGER CHARACTER.. I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT AS A POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE.. SALVINI CICHLIDS. NOT AS BRIGHT AS THE ELECTRICS BUT GREAT COLOUR AND DEFINATELY CAPABLE OF HANDLING THEMSELVES... PROLIFIC BREEDERS TOO.. :biggrin:

fatpuffer
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Definately not aggressive as dsaundry stated. Mine lived with apistogramma triple reds and platies. The apistos bred and actually bullied the ebjd (Apistos are dward cichlids...this particular ones were about 1-1.5 inches when they bred).

Js

banditpowdercoat
01-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Could EBJD be kept with Neons and Angels??

fatpuffer
01-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I would not trust it will neons but angels would work.

Js

saltwatermaniac
01-13-2008, 05:15 AM
thanks for all the info I will ask a couple of stores.