PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia

Starry
01-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm planing on buying a used system this weekend. 70g with 2 electronic ballasted 175w MH and 4 30watt t-12's, 2 powerheads 2 AC 30 filters.

It also comes with 80lbs of live rock. The pieces look quite nice and have lots of life on them,(coraline algea, copeopods) however some of that life is Aiptasia!!! Quite a bit of it. Some small, some large, about 80-100 I'd guess.
Rock here costs 10.99 per lb. Should I battle the aiptasia with peppermint shrimp, give it a freshwater bath or one of the other methods I have read about? Should I dry out the rock and start anew, or scrap it altogether and buy new rock piece by piece till I have enough?

Starry :confused:

Brent F
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Another option would be Berghia nudibranchs
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38444
________
smoking kills (http://smokekills.net)

Blue Ram
01-12-2008, 01:37 AM
I would not count on the peppermint shrimp doing the job. I have had 4 peppermint shrimp in my tank for several months and they are not touching the aiptasia in my tank. I'm going to try and purchase a pair of nudibranches.

Myka
01-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Ya...Peppermint shrimp usually only take care of the little Aiptasia, and even then it's hit or miss. I've found Joe's Juice to be the best method, and seem to work even on the big ones. Be sure to squirt the Joe's Juice in the centre of the tentacles where the mouth is, and turn your pumps off for 1/2 hour to make sure the stuff stays on them for awhile. If they survive the Joe's Juice I use a razor blade to cut the stalk as low as possible on large ones, then mangle what's left. LOL.

But, I think your best bet may be to "cook" the rock in Rubbermaids for a few months in the dark with some heaters and powerheads. This should take care of the Aiptasia, or at least 90% of them, and will also erradicate nuisance algaes and phosphates in the rock that are both likely with "used" rock. It often seems that when people shut down their tanks it's because of lack of time or knowledge or frustration with algaes. If you want more info on "cooking" rock PM me, and I'll send you some links and answer any questions you have.

PS If you have any extra rock let me know!!! I'm in Kelowna as well, and am looking for about 30-40 lbs. :) I'll swap frags too eh? ;)