PDA

View Full Version : Coral Ocean Aquarium

TRS
02-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Can anyone here tell me if Coral Ocean Aquarium has a web site or email address? If so, please let me know. TIA

BC_Grl
02-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Coral Ocean Aquarium
3622 Kingsway, Vancouver BC V5R 5M2
(604) 733-1888
It would appear not because most would indicate it in the yellow pages online.
Hope this information helps. You could always call them...

TRS
02-10-2003, 03:09 AM
:o I thought that they would have an email address for sure.
Anyway...Thanks for your post.
It is much appreciated.

Mak
02-10-2003, 03:57 AM
What is Coral Ocean Aquarium :?: . I've never heard of it :? .

reefburnaby
02-10-2003, 06:32 AM
I have Colin's (owner of the LFS) Business card from several years ago...604-720-4189 is his cell number. It might not be correct, but you can give it a try.

- Victor.

Van down by the river
02-14-2003, 09:54 AM
What is Coral Ocean? Well it's a small shop at Kingsway 1 block east of Boundry. He focuses on Marine fish, Soft Corals, LPS Corals, and clams.
He carries very little dry goods but will order many high end equipment(eg:lighting) for good prices when asked. Colin is the owner operator and the shop # is 604-733-1888 he is closed Mondays and is usually there from 11:30am - 7pm often later.......
His hours are kind of flexible. The familiar "back in 5 Min" sign is common.

Is it a good shop? yes, Is it often low on animals? yes. Good stuff doesn't stay there long.
Colin is NOT a salesman, he is quiet but once you make friends and talk to him you will find he is quite friendly. We often joke that he should setup a coffee bar in his shop as it is the hangout for many long term aquarists 8) . I suggest a frequent "drop in" will benefit you if you are close by.

So why go there? Because Colin often gets very nice fish and corals. Many maintenance companies buy here. He has a loyal group of customers that come in on a regular basis.
He also has great prices and once he gets to know you, he will allow you to bargain (a fair price) with him. Be warned many of us regulars "cherry pick" his shipments clean of all the best stuff quickly. If it's good, it doesn't stay there long. So phone and ask when he expects his next shipment, and go the following day, you will often be rewarded.

It's often worth it to include him in your fish store rounds.

Mak
02-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the info Chris.... Ah I mean Van :wink: :lol: .

Since I crossed one store off the list, I've been looking for another one :roll: :lol: .

Van down by the river
02-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Roger at Perky's in New west and Aquafanatics in Richmond may also be worth a look.

BC_Grl
02-15-2003, 04:47 PM
You know Van, I went into Perky's... went in and directly out. There really was nothing there--is that unusual?

Pansy-Paws
02-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey Mak! Can I ask which store you crossed off your list . . . and why?

Mak
02-16-2003, 06:07 AM
Sent you a PM. Don't think all post the stores name just in case.

Van down by the river
02-16-2003, 07:56 AM
It is a small store but he usually has a few treasures, unfortunately he had a tank disastre a few weeks ago I'm not sure of all the details but I think it involved a novice store employee , his reef stuff and probably alot of cursing. Give him awhile to recover. His salt fish are almost nonexistent but I believe that "jems" are often found in some of the smaller stores. Sorry if I made you go way out of your way. Sometimes it's worth it to call ahead and ask when the next shipment will be. Saves time and you might get first dibs. I find the cream of the crop is usually gone in the first 2 days at any store.
Good luck(Same goes for Coral Ocean)

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2003, 04:40 AM
I've been in Coral Ocean a couple of times, and like Van says his hours are flexible, best to phone ahead because he just doesn't show up to open the store sometimes which is a pain when you work shifts. I go up there and have sat for over an hour with out him showing up. When I have been in...... oh well, it isn't my favorite store thats for sure.

BC_Grl
03-03-2003, 04:45 AM
Is it anywhere near King Ed's?

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2003, 04:56 AM
It's not far from King Eds, King Ed is on Kingsway, so is Coral Ocean, Coral ocean is just past Boundry road if you are heading back to Vancouver, it is on the left hand (south side) of Kingsway almost kitty corner to the BC Tel (Telus) boot.

BC_Grl
03-03-2003, 05:02 AM
So are you telling me it is not within walking distance? Sorry, I'm not overly familiar with Bby. I know how to get around by bus or ALRT, but that is about it. I can look it up though. :)

BC_Grl
03-03-2003, 05:09 AM
hmm, I may be alright if I took a bus down Kingsway to Vancouver...
I guess I will have to wing it when I get there. Thanks for the info.

Van down by the river
03-03-2003, 09:04 AM
BC_Girl
It is in between Joyce and Patterson, maybe 10min walk from Patterson.
Definitely call first. Try to go right after a new shipment.

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2003, 06:59 PM
For busses, the 19 Metrotown goes right past there from down town on its way to Metrotown, the 19 Downtown goes past there from Metrotown. If you were coming from King Ed pets, get on the 106 to metrotown and get off at Edmonds sky train, then tank the sky train to Metrotown and catch the 19 Downtown from there.