PDA

View Full Version : Base Rock in/or around Edmonton ??

TRS
02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Apart from making my own...does anyone know where a guy can purchase some good porous base rock in the Edmonton area? If so, please let me know. I am looking for 40-50 pounds...if the price is right. TIA

Bob I
02-09-2003, 08:48 PM
For more reasons than one, it is too bad you are in Edmonton. :( Here in Calgary at Riverfront aquarium one can get excellent Calcium Carbonate rock which is in reality an old reef chopped up. It is white, and very porous, and costs only $4.99/kg. Once it grows some Coraline algae, you can't tell it is not real live base rock. 8)

TRS
02-09-2003, 09:15 PM
No kidding. That is a fair price. Since I require ~250 pounds of rock for my reef, I am looking for ~50 pounds of porous base rock to provide the foundation of my reef, then add ~100 pounds of high quality LR and the rest as time...and the wallet permit. :wink: Calgary is not too far from here, so maybe some weekend I could drive down and load some up. It probably costs way too much to put on the bus. How big are the pieces? Do you have any pics that you could shoot to me by email?

Bob I
02-09-2003, 09:59 PM
The pieces vary in size from about 2 kg to smaller pieces. I will send three pictures of some of the rock in my tanks.

Canadian Man
02-09-2003, 10:16 PM
If you click on my webpage 1/2 to 3/4 of the rock in my tank is the rock you are talking about.
cheers

TRS
02-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the great information guys. I will try to get some of this Base Rock for my foundation. I followed Canadian Man's URL to see his tank and then linked to several others including rcipema, EmilyB, Dez, etc. BTW, they are looking great. I am curious of the ages on your tanks. How long will it take the Base Rock to be covered in coralline algae?

Canadian Man
02-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Well I dont really have much purple coraline in my tank but I attest that to my lighting mainly. I do have green coraline and a little purple though.
Anyway my tank is about 1 year and 8 months and the rock took aprox 3 months or so to get pretty colored up.

reefburnaby
02-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Hi,

I have the same rock that you are referring to and I used 95% of it as my live rock. My seed rocks came from my corals that I had from a previous tank. It took about a year to fully coloured up. I also have a reef rock rack that elevates the entire rock structure so that I don't need base rock. The rack forms tunnels and crawlspace for the fish to sleep, chase and hide. It also improves circulation. My coraline was mostly green in three months, and now it is mostly red/purple.

I bought it at J&Ls for $75 for 50lb of Caribsea Reef rock. Big Al's carries them too, but they are more expensive there.

There are two types of rocks you can get from Caribsea. The 2kg or less type and the 2kg or more.

WOW...1 Millions hits on canreef..!!!!!

- Victor.

TRS
02-12-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks Victor.
Could you post some pictures of your reef rock rack?