PDA

View Full Version : Regal Tang?

SeaSerpant
01-11-2008, 01:17 AM
I have seen many nano tanks with blue Regal tangs in them. would this be okay?

VFX
01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I have seen many nano tanks with blue Regal tangs in them. would this be okay?

Not recommended really. Even if the tang is a juvi.

Personally, I was advised not to keep one by many different sources in my old 60 gallon unless I was prepared to move it into a bigger tank later on.

I hope not to offened but, IMO a nano tank is no place for a Regal Tang.

Fish Keeping UK (http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/caresheets/caresheet.php?caresheetID=43)

Reef Keeping UK (http://www.reefkeeping.co.uk/blog/?m=200611)

Tim's Tropicals (http://www.timstropicals.com/Saltwater/Fish/Tang/BlueTang.asp)

Aminal World (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/BlueTang.php)

SeaSerpant
01-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Ya i just wanted to know that before i get a nano and i wanted a regal tang. But no more. Lol.

VFX
01-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Ya i just wanted to know that before i get a nano and i wanted a regal tang. But no more. Lol.

I was so temped when I had my 60 gallon.

Especially when you see them only an inch big in a LFS - way too cute for their own good! lol

SeaSerpant
01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Ya i kinda wanted to recreate a finding nemos seen with dorie.

VFX
01-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Ya i kinda wanted to recreate a finding nemos seen with dorie.

ooh - don't say that out loud! ;)

SeaSerpant
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
????????? LOL. Well i found a guy thats selling a 60g tank and a 60g sump in my area. I think i'm going to get that. Would that be good for a regal tang or is that still to small?:biggrin:

digital-audiophile
01-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Regals get big, and poop a lot. I have one in my 90, that I bought as a quarter sized baby, he has grown to over 3" long in just 7 months. If I had the proper space I would go with a bigger tank but I am confined to my 90 at least until I demo and redesign the basement.

For most tangs they say a 90 is really the minimum. It seems that lots of people keep them in smaller tanks, they just don't talk about it for fear of the tang police.

mark
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
????????? LOL. Well i found a guy thats selling a 60g tank and a 60g sump in my area. I think i'm going to get that. Would that be good for a regal tang or is that still to small?:biggrin:

Have you looked at the links from VFX? Believe they were attached for you as they have recommended min tank size.

Reefer Rob
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I have a Regal Tang in a 180 and it's still too small for it. Not a fish that adapts well to captivity IMO, even though I bought it Toony size (it's now about 7"). I would never get another one.

michika
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I had one in a 230g and that is probably the smallest tank I would put a larger tang in. They need to swim, so lots of lengthwise space is a must. If you are setting up a much larger system, and have smaller system up then I would tentatively say yes. HOWEVER, the smaller system needs to be decently large to start with, say 90g.

VFX
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM

As you may gather from the replies 60g is too small for a Regal! :wink:

fishoholic
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I had one in a 230g and that is probably the smallest tank I would put a larger tang in. They need to swim, so lots of lengthwise space is a must. If you are setting up a much larger system, and have smaller system up then I would tentatively say yes. HOWEVER, the smaller system needs to be decently large to start with, say 90g.

I second that. We just upgraded to a 230g because our Regal and Salfin tangs out grew our 120g. They are much happier now in the 230g. However bigger is always better :biggrin: 90g would be the smallest I'd go with for tangs.

Reefer Rob
01-11-2008, 07:59 PM
There are lots of Tangs that do OK in a smaller tank (60 to 90-ish) Any of the "reef cleaning" tangs such as Yellow Tangs happily clean rocks all day seemingly oblivious to their surroundings. It's just that the Regal is a free swimming plankton feeder that likes to roam, they just don't get the living in a box thing.

I can't bring my wife with me when I shop for fish, all those cute little baby Regals at the store have that puppy in the pet store window effect on her.

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I guess no REGAL tang for me:cry: :biggrin: What other kind of tang would go good in a 60g tank.

VFX
01-12-2008, 01:57 AM
I guess no REGAL tang for me:cry: :biggrin: What other kind of tang would go good in a 60g tank.

Like Rob says a Yellow Tang should be ok in a 60g tank.

Check out his link for lots of Tang info.

Marine Center Tangs Page (http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/)

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Looking at the tangs i like the Scopas tang and it says the minimum size of a tank for the Regal is 20g that sounds odd.

VFX
01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Looking at the tangs i like the Scopas tang and it says the minimum size of a tank for the Regal is 20g that sounds odd.

Yeah, remember they're a store & want to sell sell sell so take their min tank sizes with a pinch of salt. The purpose of the link was more to show what Tangs are available. Sorry I should've said so in the 1st place... :redface:

A Regal kept long term in a 20g would be just criminal!!!

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 02:16 AM
true so i think i'll get a scopas.

VFX
01-12-2008, 02:22 AM

They do look great but I don't know much about them. Maybe someone else who's kept them will pitch in?

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 02:54 AM
for some reason i like the big eyes on fish. i think it might be that i used to like manga and they always had BIG EYES LOL.

michika
01-12-2008, 04:30 AM

Scopas are in the same family as yellow tangs. They do get big, and quick. They also do a great job of cleaning up rocks, then again so do kole tangs. If you can get your hands on Scott W. Michael's Marine Fish book. Great references on fish sizes and tank requirements. As an FYI scopas is marked as a minimum tank size of 75g, and its advised that this is one of the most aggressive of the zebrasoma genus. I've seen the brutality of a Scopas tang first hand, and its not nice.

Just remember tangs grow QUICK. Before you purchase make sure you are prepared to give up the fish to a bigger home when its required, or upgrade when the time comes. Just to give you an idea I bought a regal tang that was about 0.5" and in about a year it was 4". By year two my fish was an easy 7" and about half an inch thick. I had a sailfin that grew even quicker.

If you are REALLY set on a tang, look for a small one, make sure it is not only eating, but that you have some preliminary information on it before purchasing. They are great fish, lots of personality, and lots of fun. However, I would still STRONGLY recommend something bigger, like 90g to start out.

VFX
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
for some reason i like the big eyes on fish. i think it might be that i used to like manga and they always had BIG EYES LOL.

So you'd like this one then? :wink:

http://maona.net/img/food/akule_cu.jpg

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Lol lets say on tropical colourful nice looking fish lol.

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Scopas tangs can be very aggressive but my son has one in his 45g tank. No other tangs though..Yes I agree, they are very cool looking though. If you havent decided on fish you will have to first decide whether you are going to have corals or a fish only tank. One of my fave fish's is a gold stripe maroon clown..gorgeous fish..but aggressive...so again..do your research:biggrin:

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 09:09 PM
lol i am. i've researched nano tanks but since i've found a 60g i'm going to research that.

VFX
01-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Lol lets say on tropical colourful nice looking fish lol.

Ok then how about his one?

Might be troublesome in a 60g tank though...

http://www.openbsd.org/images/MangaRamblo.jpg

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Lol thats kinda what i'm talking about it's comical.

SeaSerpant
01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Note the big eyes. You know how people say once you mention a tang in a forum it dies out well mine hasn't:biggrin:

ImprezaSTi
01-13-2008, 04:42 AM
I am also really tempted to get a regal tang in my new 65, don't know if I can control myself...