PDA

View Full Version : fraggin a Xenia

BCReefer
02-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Andrew or anyone else.

I have a Xenia that I need to start trimming and fraggin. How do I go about doing this?

Many thanks

Titus having information like this readily available for us to use would be a great addition.

ldzielak
02-07-2002, 05:10 PM
I have way too many in my tank. Any way works fine, I let mine climb the glass, so they frag by them selves. Or you can simply put another rock next to them and they will migrate. Or a new rasor blade works fine, cut and place them on new rocks. I have found elastics to be tricky and cuts them up. Some have told me to stick a toothpick through and then elastic the tooth pick. All I do is prop a rock on top to hold it down, the next day or 2 they are attached.
Hope this helps.

One_Divided
02-07-2002, 05:43 PM
I like the rock migration technique myself.. I should just warn you that if you plan on cutting it and using elastics, get a nose plug and some rubber gloves.. xenia is some damn stinky stuff and the smell stays on your hands for a while if you touch it..

Any way you frag it, it's pretty forgiving stuff..

canadawest
02-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Pretty much what was said above.

I use scissors to cut and elastic the severed stem to a frag rock. 3 of 4 will attach no problem in a couple days. 1 out of 4 will usually get picked at by a crab or fish and come out of the elastic, but then I just find the wayward cutting and re-attach it.

Has worked fine for my dozens of frags over the past 9 months.

pocilipora
02-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I have fragged hundreds of these guyes, the elastic method works best for me. But I have also used Crazy Glue. Pierce the xenia with a toothpic, stick the other end into ahole that the toothpic will get wedged in, then make a small hole in the center of a 1/4 inch by 1/4 piece of elastic band (a pin works well) slide the elastic down the toothpic until the frag is firmly pressed aganst the rock. Remove tooth pick in 3 days. And there you have it, if this makes any sense. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Silverfish
02-07-2002, 08:17 PM
I like the elastic method too. Works really good if the piece of rock has a bit of a concave to it so that the frag doesn't have too much pressure on it from the elastic.
Razor or scissors works great for cutting em up.

What Adam, you don't like having 'stink-hand'? images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BCReefer
02-08-2002, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys but 1 simple question elstic as in elasticband?

ldzielak
02-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Yes elastic band is correct.

[ 07 February 2002: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

reefguy26
02-08-2002, 04:31 AM
i use bridal vail of somesort and place a piece over the xenia and the rock and use an elastic to hold down the bridal vail and remove in 3-4 days works for me u can frag a few smaller peices on a rock this way

One_Divided
02-08-2002, 06:04 AM
I had some xenia grow on to a passing snail and attached him to the colony for days till I cut him off images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Unfortunately I lost the photos of it.. images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

canadawest
02-08-2002, 05:53 PM
I read about a guy who fragged Xenia and purposely attached it to hermit crab shells, with the hermits still in them!!

He thought it was a novelty item to have "moving Xenia"

Not sure how well it sold? images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif