PDA

View Full Version : zeovit

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 04:06 AM
Can a TLF phosban reactor be used as a zeovit reactor? It will be on a 75.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Yes. You just have to shake it manually every day.

Jason McK
01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
they can be used. you will need to be able to fit .75L of Zeolith into it. with room to aggitate. Also a max of 75G/h

J

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 04:19 AM
I've got two of the reactors and I'll use one for rowaphos and the other for zeolith. Can I run these in sequence off the supplied mj400 or should I run them separatley with an mj400 on both?

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Oh, and why do you have to agitate it and is there another way to accomplish this without having to shake it?

Brent F
01-10-2008, 04:30 AM
A zeovit reactor has a plunger for cleaning the material every day. Since teh Phosban reactor doesn't have a plunger you clean the material by shaking the reactor.

I have a TLF hanging on the back of my Red Sea Max with zeovit and carbon in it. Makes it easy to reach for the daily shake.
________
Honda VF750C (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VF750C)

Jason McK
01-10-2008, 04:31 AM
It is not recommended to use any phosphate removal while on Zeo. Actually there is little need for it.
Zeo and the bacteria use will quickly elliminate phosphate. using Rowa can actually defeat the ability of Zeovit.

You need to agitate it to remove the Muln (bacteria) to feed your corals

J

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 04:34 AM
well ****! I wish I would have known that before buying the rowaphos! So if I use the media do I have to use any of the other zeo line of products? It suggests using the media in conjunction with zeobak,zeostart and zeofood.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Yup...what Jason said. Flushes the "mulm" into the water column.

Brent F
01-10-2008, 04:55 AM
I'm using the rock with zeobak,zeostart and zeofood dosing acording to their guide. Everything I've read recommends using the 4 products together for the method to work.
________
Suzuki VZ1600 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_VZ1600)

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Brent, how long have you been using this system? And do you honestly believe it has been worth it? The extra work and cost is worth it to me as long as the system works. I don't have any specific problems within my system I just want everything to be a little better.

Brent F
01-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Brent, how long have you been using this system? And do you honestly believe it has been worth it? The extra work and cost is worth it to me as long as the system works. I don't have any specific problems within my system I just want everything to be a little better.

I just started using it so am not a good person to ask. I have invertebrates but no corals in the tanks so far. So far I'm having a hard time mentally with seeing my tank cycle and having no ammonia peak at all. Everything is progressing normally and I have little / no algae.

There are a lot of people on the Zeovit site that seem to have good results. Has Jason been using it?

I decided to try it based on some of the testimonials of others. The way I figure it is, worst case, I turn my sump into a refugium and use the reactor for something else if I don't think it is delivering. The cost of trying it on a system as small as mine wasn't very high.
________
starcraft replays (http://screplays.com)

andresont
01-10-2008, 06:57 AM
It is not recommended to use any phosphate removal while on Zeo. Actually there is little need for it.
Zeo and the bacteria use will quickly elliminate phosphate. using Rowa can actually defeat the ability of Zeovit.

J

Can you please elaborate further or drop a link for me to learn more about Zeo and Po4 removal?
I just ordered 2lbs of Po4 removal in Chin's group buy ,do i need to cancel?
I am using both Rowa and ZEO products now and i do see some wierd things happenning :(

Jason McK
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
If you perform a search on www.zeovit.com you will come up with a tom of threads on not using Rowaphos or other phosphate removers. Unfortunatly there is not one thread that says do not use it

J

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I read through the zeovit guide and it seems to be a fairly easy system once you get it going. I am wondering though what happens if a person goes on holidays or out of town for a couple days? The dosing of these chemicals seems to only be sufficient if done everyday.

Jason McK
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Not really. I was away for over 2 weeks last summer and nothing really changed. I had my 'look in' person do some of the doseing but nothing that was required ever day

J

Edmonton Eskimo
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
That's good to hear.

andresont
01-11-2008, 03:16 AM
If you perform a search on www.zeovit.com you will come up with a tom of threads on not using Rowaphos or other phosphate removers. Unfortunatly there is not one thread that says do not use it

J
thanks Jason,
I wonder why zeo manual would not mention any of that...

Brent F
01-11-2008, 03:37 AM
thanks Jason,
I wonder why zeo manual would not mention any of that...

It does. Section 1 - Page 4 of 40 of the ZEOvit guide, 4th paragraph says not to use phosphate absorbers.
________
ZR750F (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_ZR750F)

andresont
01-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Thank you...
Stupid me :redface:

surgeonfish
01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
How high will PO4 go using ZEOvit? I started using it 4 weeks ago and my PO4 has slowly increased from 0.02 to 0.1 and still rising. I am hoping that as the system becomes nutrient poor it will start to drop. Should I take any additional interventions?

andresont
01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Funny you say that,because i don’t measure my Po4 (always had rowa in po4 reactor) and i had no hair algae before, but now that i am on Zeo for 3 weeks algae grows on the pumps and i dont like it.
I had rowa running with it too but now remowed and wonder what will hapen next?

Jason McK
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
What are you doseing and how much?

J

andresont
01-13-2008, 03:01 AM
1.5 days after removing Rowa and i can see hair algae disappearing !
Wow.
So i decided to put ZEO back on 3hr on/off timer just in case if change is to quick.

Side note; if ZEO rocks are so quick to remove Po4 it makes Rowa obsolete is it not?
Because ; ZEO rocks are chipper, lasts longer and you need less of it to remove phosphates ! The only draw back is a need for shaking though, and not too comfortable without special reactor.

What i am doing is that i have Zeo rocks in the regular plastic net from oranges and i have it in separate small container in the sump (small power head is for flow from sump in to separate small container that overflows back to the sump) with plastic rod attached to the plastic net/bag so this makes it very easy to shake.:mrgreen:

andresont
01-13-2008, 03:02 AM
What are you doseing and how much?

J

sorry Jason, are you asking me or someone else ?:redface:

Jason McK
01-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Yes sorry. I was wondering what you are doseing and how much

J

andresont
01-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes sorry. I was wondering what you are doseing and how much

J
thanks J,
Just first 3 as per manual
bak 1 drop /25 gal , food 1 drop /25 gal Every second day now, before for two weeks was every day.
start 0.25 ml/per 50gal every day.
I also started LPS amino's and vitaliser but stopped after hair algae showed up.

Jason McK
01-13-2008, 05:09 PM
I would recommend filling out this questionare. nd posting it @ zeovit.com. It is very helpful and then if you run into any questions the gang @ Zeo can help

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
12. What corals do you keep
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any present problems
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use

andresont
01-13-2008, 11:31 PM
thank you for your help Jason,
:smile: