PDA

View Full Version : Best way to move live rock??

findingnemo1
01-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Hi everyone.

we are moving on the 24th and i am a little concerned as to how to move the rock to minimize die off.

We have 3.5 hours to drive and are useing a uhaul so am not sure how to do this as that truck is going to be really cold.
The fish and corals are all going in rubbermaids in the van but i have 100+ pounds of rock that i am not going to be able to fit in the van with water.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Lisa

andresont
01-10-2008, 02:09 AM
When i moved i was not up to moving live stock, better sell it and start new.
jmo

Myka
01-10-2008, 02:17 AM
We have 3.5 hours to drive and are useing a uhaul so am not sure how to do this as that truck is going to be really cold.
The fish and corals are all going in rubbermaids in the van but i have 100+ pounds of rock that i am not going to be able to fit in the van with water.

Get some styrofoam boxes that have matching cardboard boxes. Wrap some heat packs in a couple layers of dry newspaper. Put a heat pack or two on the bottom of the styrofoam box. Put a "heavy duty" garbage bag (the green kind or orange etc) into the styrofoam box. Line the garbage bag with newspaper that you have soaked with tank water. I prefer to use the brown packing paper as there aren't any dyes, but regular newspaper seems to work fine. Put rock into boxes, cover the rock with more wet newspaper. Tie a knot in the garbage bag. Put one or two more newspaper wrapped heat packs on top. Put the styrofoam lid on the box, and tape it up very securely (in case the bag leaks). Put the styrofoam box into the cardboard box. Tape it up well. :D

Most heat packs will keep a box packaged this way warm for 48 hours. I would suggest that you put your rock into Rubbermaid containers with heaters and powerheads when you get to the new house, and monitor Ammonia and Nitrite for a week. You may get a small cycle.

findingnemo1
01-10-2008, 03:36 AM
When i moved i was not up to moving live stock, better sell it and start new.
jmo

This seemed like an option inthe beggining but just to go from Calgary to Sherwood park seems pointless in the money i would lose for rock. I could sell it for maybe 4 a pound and buy it back at 7+ a pound. I would rather take the cycle i guess:)

Thanks Myka.
I was thinking of the way you described. And i think i will head out to some stores tommorrow and see what i can find.
I am trully just terrified after watching what Catherine had to endure with her move. I am all set up for the livestock move it was just the rock i was worried about.

Lisa

Gools
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I moved all my LR from Winnipeg to BC, came in the car with me, didn't have a problem. Even some of the sps, and softies that were stuck on are just fine. Just keep it moist, put towels newspaper, and pour water over it once in a while, to keep it wet.

Kronk
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Home depot buckets with water and lids. No splashing and they arent too heavy to move, only downside you will need a lot of them. I moved from langley to kamloops about 3 or 4 hours in a UHAUL no problems.

Good Luck

Delphinus
01-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Where ya guys moving to?

findingnemo1
01-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Okay we'll thanks to everyone for the advice. I am just going to hold my breath...lol

Hey Tony

We are off to Sherwood Park. Craig got transffered so away we go. Just couldn't have timed it worse though in regards to the tank.
You should see that baby taptum he is getting bigger all the time probably the size of a quarter now:)
You are first on my list for a spit if it ever does so....

Lisa

fishytime
01-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Where ya guys moving to?

Tony...Believe he said Sherwood forrest:biggrin: . Perhaps a better question is WHY j/k. Best of luck with the move. Hope it goes well for you.

Zylumn
01-11-2008, 05:20 AM
If you want to use buckets the Dairy Queen by my house has buckets with lids, 2 for 3$. The buckets are 4 gallon which when full are easier to handle than the 5 gallon. I hope your move goes well. If you need anything pm me.
Kevin